PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
All reviews, everywhere, are dumpster fires.

People that only smoke latakia reviewing aromatics and finding them weak or fake. People who hate Australian wine and only drink Chardonnay in the first place piss all over a big spicy Shiraz. "Ew, it tasted like spicy dirt." Yeah. That's the point. Run along child.

That's what reviews are, mostly. If you want good reviews, hit ralfy.com and see a scotsman drink some Scotch.

ethicsminer

Might Stick Around
Jul 4, 2018
Ohio
Admittedly, I tend to pass those blends that have 2 people both giving a 1 star review - even if both reviews are (for lack of a better word) lame.

Reactions: JOHN72
This complain has been going on since I first started smoking a pipe and perusing reviews.
I just read Jim's reviews. I don't read them to see if he likes them or rates them, but just to see whether the blend I am researching has any added flavorings, or what the component leaves are,
Other than entertainment, I have no interest in reading all of the other BS written by hacks.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I think alot of newbies rely on reviews when deciding what to buy. Theres literally thousands of different blends to choose from and they don't have much else to go on.

Of course I'm sure they can differentiate bogus reviews from real ones but still...
That would be me haha. I tend to just look at reviews to help guide me through what to expect. More just face value assessments than a JimInks review where he goes through the list. Not to say anything bad about JimInks, but his reviews are from an well experienced smoker, and i'm not.

Though i wish i read reviews before trying sutliff bluenote. i was wondering what a "chemical taste" was that i would hear from aro reviews at times. wish i read reviews on that one before buying an ounce.

Reactions: JOHN72 and JimInks

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just read reviews that are posted by people who know what they are doing, And then you'll find out what you want to know. Follow that rule and smokingppipes is decent source of info.

Reactions: JOHN72

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
People have come unglued on the new SPC release. SP should moderate their comment section. There is a clear difference between a bad review and someone being an idiot.

Reactions: JimInks and MattRVA

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
People have come unglued on the new SPC release. SP should moderate their comment section. There is a clear difference between a bad review and someone being an idiot.
Sure are a lot of clueless folks, lots of mentions of email lists etc. As much as I like SP.C I wouldn't trust being informed on just subscribing to their marketing emails. Things end up in spam etc.

What they should have done to be ahead of the limited blend curve is subscribe to JimInks :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JimInks

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
After almost a year of smoking and trying tons of different blends and reading hundreds of reviews I've realized that at the end of the day I can't really rely on anyone's review except my own, we all have such different pallets and tastes. The one exception being JimInks...I would never buy a tobacco without checking his review first. :) Thank you for all you do!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have often thought that there should be a 'Jim Inks APP' were you program the APP with all you're parameters in regards to pipe tobacco. When you see a new tobacco you run the APP over the name and it gives you a thumbs up or down based on your known tastes. I often email Jim and ask him 'Do you think I would like this .....'. He normally replies along the line of 'No you will absolutely hate this blend because....' which is almost like having a Jim Inks APP.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@condorlover1 I'm looking forward to the Redcoats and Revolutionaries event at Cromford Mill this weekend.
Going to wear the Redcoat uniform and smoke a clay pipe. Thinking of taking my church warden pipe and some Yorktown to smoke in it.
So you feel sorry for the poor blacksmith???