PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have always had a problem with tasting all the flavors in tobacco. Smoking slow and packing just right but Any more flavors are missing. So I went looking for all the lost things in my pipe. Retro-inhaling was tried. Within an hour I felt a nasty sinus headache descend on me like a fat lady on cake. I was wondering if this has happened to any one else. If this happens to me every time when I retro-inhale, I won’t be doing that ever again. I do not smoke in the summer because of the heat and humidity. By the way no new flavors when retrograde inhaling. Can not stand heavy burley blends because of ashtray aftertaste. Now this bump in the road.

Reactions: seanv

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I don't really do the retrohale. I don't find it that enjoyable and feel the taste is muddled.

I prefer to just allow the smoke to drift upwards into my nose. I get much clearer and fresher tasting flavours that way. It also doesn't irritate the sinuses that way.

Burley was something I had to get used to. I didn't 'get' the flavours at first, but I quite enjoy Aged Burley Flake now.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I don't really do the retrohale. I don't find it that enjoyable and feel the taste is muddled.

I prefer to just allow the smoke to drift upwards into my nose. I get much clearer and fresher tasting flavours that way. It also doesn't irritate the sinuses that way.

Burley was something I had to get used to. I didn't 'get' the flavours at first, but I quite enjoy Aged Burley Flake now.
A little goes a long way for me. Having my breath and mouth taste like an old ashtray is a lot to put me off.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019

A local B & M has a Virginia Slices in bulk that leaves me gobbsmacked. Incredible stuff!

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
I tend to retrohale, often without realizing it. I smoked cigarettes for 30 years though, I think I already blasted those nerve endings long ago. I have quit long enough, though, that flavor and smell have come back, another reason I came back to pipes. I do enjoy the flavor and the aromas more than ever now.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Other than the "wasabi punch" of good Perique, I find little benefit from the retrohale. And, it often leads to inflamed sinuses for me.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy