PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
I always use 9mm filters and I love vintage Dunhill pipes (pre-1969). To reconcile the two I have attempted to find vintage Dunhills with a shank diameter wide enough to allow for a retro fit of a 9mm tenon. So far I have found 2 models which allows for this modification; 554 (bent Rhodesian) and the O/OX squat Bulldogs. Does anyone know of any other potential candidates? TIA
Yes, I realize I am probably killing the resale value by doing this, but I just want to enjoy the pipes and don't plan on selling them while I am alive :D

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
In my personal experience, using filters significantly reduces tongue bite and keeps the smoke drier and cooler. I detect no muting of flavor when using a filter, in fact I find it improves the flavor experience of many blends by reducing harshness. I have tried a variety of filter options through the years (balsa, stinger, keystones, paper, meerschaum, etc.) but what works best for me is without a doubt the 9mm charcoal.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It seems that most folks dismiss a filter pipe, but I've never personally tried one, in a quality pipe (my lone experience a MM cob).

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I have a few Savinelli and they all came with a “balsa” filter. I’ve tried it and the flavor was much reduced, so I ditched the filters. Savinelli also includes a tiny plastic tube to reduce the width of the draft hole when no filter is used - also removed, they just complicate cleaning.
They smoke great with the larger draft hole, so no complains from me :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a Bent Dunhill Root Briar (Shape 56) that, based on the tenon, takes a 6mm filter. I tried the lone 9mm filter that I have and its just a tad (3mm ?) too big.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks for the tip, Ash. I will add shape 56 to my list of potentials.
If a 6mm filter will fit, it can very likely accomodate a widening to 9mm unless the shank walls are really thin.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don't have advice for specific shapes but find this interesting. I used to dismiss filters, too, thinking that just slowing down would do the trick. But I have some Polish made pipes from master carvers that just smoke so nicely with a filter that I kept using them. I think we get stuck in our opinions sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.