PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
I haven't posted for a couple of weeks (apart from the age thread) because of the activities associated with my retirement. I conducted my last services (I am clergy) on the 21st and 28th of Jan - it was nice to have a packed church, which is a rare thing these days. Here's a pic of me cutting a cake on the 28th:
zTFcJEv.jpg

I have also been surprised by the number of people who have requested mp3s of my last sermon. They never asked until I retired.
I have technically been a pensioner since Feb 1st now so we are getting ready to move from this suburb of London to Bristol over in the West of England. My wife has already moved over to get our new place ready (carpets going down tomorrow - Monday). This leaves me to get ready for the removal company who arrive tomorrow to pack and part-load. Tuesday they load up and Wednesday they deliver to our new house.
I haven't been this tired for a long time: a combination of non-stop lifting/carrying and the emotional strain which saying goodbye entails.
I will be very glad when I wake up on Thursday in our new place - at least boxes can be unpacked at our leisure!
Mike

Reactions: SaxonX

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Congrats Mike. That kind of attendance and requests says how important you are to them. Enjoy that new life!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Well, Rev.Mike, the busy life may just be starting! Our priest Fr.Dan retired about 10 years ago. He will turn 91 this March and God is keeping him busy. Best wishes to you and many more blessings.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks guys.
I don't think activity will be a problem. The problem will be in saying 'no' to the various invitations that will come my way from the churches around Bristol.
Also, my eldest daughter lives there with her husband and son (my grandson) - so there will be a fair bit of grandparent-grandson bonding to be done too!
Mike

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Congratulations to you sir! I’m going to smoke a pipe full of St. Bruno in celebration. Think of all the wonderful pipe-fulls of Bruno you have yet to smoke!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I retired, I thought I'd be deciding whether to read a book or take a walk on quiet afternoons. Huh. The pace of life picked up even more. The old joke -- I don't know how I had time to work. Congratulations, and fight for your time to enjoy yourself. I'm still quoting your "upper class house, with a middle class job, on a lower class salary."

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Congratulations Mike, you have earned it. Unfortunately we couldn’t have retired 30 years ago. You will enjoy the next step in your life.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congratulations. Ass fr unpacking boxes; we're in the process of downsizing and finding boxes we're finding boxes we never unpacked when we moved here 25 years ago. They're going or making another move.

Status
Not open for further replies.