PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I browsed through the topics and didnt see anything pertaining to bands. I have some questions about restoring them.
Can you remove a band and re-attach it without damaging the pipe and if so how is it done?

How can you determine what material the band is made from?

What are the best methods for restoring them based on the material?
Oh, and if these are already covered somewhere else my apology. Maybe you could point me into the right area.
Thank ya!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Hey there Peteguy; I'll try and address your questions as best I can...
1) If the band is pressure fitted, you can remove it, however the majority seem to be glued into place.

2) The key is to watch the oxidization; most bands I've come across are either Silver or Nickle; with the occasional foray into stainless steel. The silver bands will turn black as they oxidize, while the nickle will simply lose it's luster.

3) I use silver-polish and a q-tip; if the pipe in question has a light stain, I mask off the briar to avoid any transfer.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Ive seen some pipe guys on youtube recommend toothpaste as an alternative to actual silver polish. It seemed to work on camera. Anyone else use this?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For polishing bands I use Eagle One's Never-Dull. Its impregnated wadding that comes in a can and is very easy to use and can be used on any metal surface. Wipe on, wipe off. Masking the biar is always a good idea.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I work for a jewelry company and for sterling silver items I would suggest you give some lemon scented ammonia a shot if you have some under the sink before you go out and buy anything extra. It works wonders on metal oxidation.
I'm not sure If it will harm the finish on briar so be careful.
Maybe someone can chime in if they've ever stripped off the finish with ammonia by mistake? lol

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Great info everyone. I totally missed taping off the briar. That should solve any issues of removing the band, which makes me happy.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
How about something simple for polishing metal bands. For those who crossover and smoke cigars, use some fine ash and rub it on with your fingers. Afterwards, just wipe with a cloth.
My big question for restoring metal bands is if anyone has any recommendations for smoothing out dents.

Status
Not open for further replies.