PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just want to second the motion on preserving the plateau. That is a fine feature of this pipe and you don't want to sand it or otherwise alter it much. The electric toothbrush, q-tips, and paper towels sound like the right approach, nothing that will remove material. I'd rather have a bit of residual darkening than remove any briar.

Briarville

Lurker
Nov 10, 2019
Hello all,

I purchase on ebay my first straight grain pipe. Price was good, but the rim is quite scorched and darkened. It looks like the wood itself is burnt.

I read some posts on how to repair the rim, and most suggest to sand/polish the surface.

However, the rim surface of my pipe is irregular and I am afraid the polishing would alter/flatten it.

What would you do in my situation? Pictures below.

On a side note - the pipe has an inscription: "London - Straight Grain". Anyone knows what is the Pipe's brand?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 36002

View attachment 36003

View attachment 36004
I can remove all that rim char and restore the rim to like new condition.

EDITED to Remove Website/Link. Please Read the Rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm late to the party on this one, but whatever route you choose to go, please post some after pics. That looks like the perfect rim to try some of these techniques out on.

Yes, I'm looking forward to trying some of the techniques mentioned.

I normally let Murphy's Oil sit on it undiluted for a couple of minutes, then scrub well with a toothbrush. If that doesn't get it done, I go to a brass brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.