PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2020
Hello all,

I purchase on ebay my first straight grain pipe. Price was good, but the rim is quite scorched and darkened. It looks like the wood itself is burnt.

I read some posts on how to repair the rim, and most suggest to sand/polish the surface.

However, the rim surface of my pipe is irregular and I am afraid the polishing would alter/flatten it.

What would you do in my situation? Pictures below.

On a side note - the pipe has an inscription: "London - Straight Grain". Anyone knows what is the Pipe's brand?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200711_162128.jpg

IMG_20200711_162226.jpg

IMG_20200711_162351.jpg

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Don't sand the plateau of that puppy. It would completely retract from it's appearance. All of the suggestions above are good ones. You may not get as good a desire as you wish, but it doesn't look that bad at all, rather a well-loved look to it.

All good advice given. It will clean up nicely with some elbow grease and can be made stunning again

1.Clean up the top plateau lightly with a toothbrush and maybe some toothpaste. It should most of the rum darkening
2. This was stained natural. You can clean up with a mild detergent. It would lose some finish, but if you do gently won’t lose much
3. Rewax the stummel. I have heard good things about Paragon Wax, so ideally you should use that. I personally use a carnauba based wood wax polish with ok results
4. Polish the stem with some pipe stem oil or mineral oil

You will get a pipe as good as new!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Soot & a little tar. It does not look scorched or charred.
I’ve has good results soaking a folded paper towel on a saucer with black coffee, placing the inverted rim firmly onto the paper towel for a day or three, then scrubbing with a manual or electric toothbrush (moistened with more coffee or saliva).
I’ve used this technique on smooth & plateau rims as well as meerschaum (surprisingly does not stain the meerschaum).

Jul 11, 2020
Thanks all for the tips. I am scrubbing that thing and bout 50% of the blackened areas are out. A lot of black goo was generated. Like in the Prometheus movie.

Chasingembers, your restoration in the last picture is unbelievable. It motivates me to continue scrubbing.

I will post pictures when I finish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why a lighter?
It singes the oxidation allowing it to be wiped away.

Status
Not open for further replies.