PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I got this for 12 American dollars, a push stem Woodie, made during the war, I suspect:15031
It was the dirtiest pipe that I've had the privilege to work on. There was a thick layer of cake in it and cake in the draft hole. I still have to remove all of the oxidation off the stem. And I can still smell what I think was Sir Walter Raleigh in the bowl even after reaming and a hot water rinse. The alcohol dipped pipe cleaner came out of the stem for the first time completely black.

I've also had to top it because the previous owner had bashed the top left repeatedly until it was about 1/8" shorter on the left side than the right.

The question I face now is how to stain the top. I think it'd be a fool's errand to try to match the color on the other parts of the bowl, so I'm thinking of staining it completely black or leaving it natural.

If I stain the top black, can I use a black Sharpie? Or should I look for Fiebing's dye? Should I bother sanding after the dye job? Can I get it completely opaque, like a black dress pipe?

If I leave it natural, is there anything I should put on it besides the Renaissance wax I was planning to apply to the whole thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: diamondback

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
It looks nice just the way it is (from the picture you posted). If you want to smooth out the finish in an inexpensive manner, use brown shoe polish. Put it on just as you would on a leather shoe, brush it out to a high luster and polish it with a polish cloth. This will bring life back to the finish and seal the wood at the same time. If you’re are not going to resell it, this pipe finish hack is technically not cheating.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would sand the whole thing with an incredibly light hand at 600 grit just to remove the stain. You can then leave it like that for a satin finish or polish it with white diamond on a buffing wheel. Then finish with the wax of your choice.

Reactions: diamondback

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
It looks nice just the way it is (from the picture you posted). If you want to smooth out the finish in an inexpensive manner, use brown shoe polish. Put it on just as you would on a leather shoe, brush it out to a high luster and polish it with a polish cloth. This will bring life back to the finish and seal the wood at the same time. If you’re are not going to resell it, this pipe finish hack is technically not cheating.
I'm not planning to sell it. I can't say I've ever considered using shoe polish though it seems an interesting idea.

I would sand the whole thing with an incredibly light hand at 600 grit just to remove the stain. You can then leave it like that for a satin finish or polish it with white diamond on a buffing wheel. Then finish with the wax of your choice.
In other words, strip the whole stummel and avoid the two-tone look?

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
You could leave it as is and finish it by polishing with carnuba wax.

I wouldn’t use a sharpie. I’m not sure about shoe polish.

I have heard about using furniture touch up pens. Mixed reviews in that

Reactions: lightmybriar

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Thanks, guys, you've given me lots of food for thought. I'm going to shine up the stem, give it a smoke and see if its worth putting more effort in beyond giving it a layer of wax. It's a Flame Grain model, heavily stained by tobacco juices around the front, and no fills as far as I can tell. Not bad for $12.

Reactions: gamzultovah

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Thanks, guys, you've given me lots of food for thought. I'm going to shine up the stem, give it a smoke and see if its worth putting more effort in beyond giving it a layer of wax. It's a Flame Grain model, heavily stained by tobacco juices around the front, and no fills as far as I can tell. Not bad for $12.

mid you’re going to wax it anyway, you could use a little Murphy’s Oil Soap to clean the outside of the stummel. Right guys?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
It was so filthy and stained in a spot with what looked like a shiny lacquer, probably tobacco juice, that I wiped it down with alcohol. The photo was taken after the wipe. I'll try Murphy next time!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would not use Murphy's Oil Soap. It leaves a film.

If it's a flame grain I would sand it.. I think you might be surprised how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.