PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Hey there,
Probably topics was dicussed 10000 times in the forum. Maybe you can give me a link if u don't want to answer.

So far I know: clean pipe inside with pipe cleaners and alcohol (pipe cleaning alcohol)
Ream the pipe (do I need to do that if the cake is nor to thick? I kinda fear hurting the wood)

Regarding polish of the pipe outside I tried using camellia oil. Is that a good choice?

Regarding the mouthpiece I used 1000 paper to get rid of bite marks. Although now it smells a bit strange.
Which polish can u recommend to get it back black and nice?

Anything I left out?
Thanks in advance my dead uncle will be happy too if you help me :)

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Regarding the mouthpiece I used 1000 paper to get rid of bite marks. Although now it smells a bit strange.
Which polish can u recommend to get it back black and nice?
You can often use heat to lift tooth marks in a stem if it's vulcanite. There are many different ways to clean and polish a stem but a wallet friendly safe method is using a manicure block.

images.jpeg-79.jpg

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
So after watching some YouTube and reading. Here are 2 refurbished pipes :)

Bowl was just waxed and polished but I m Sure I can do there better . Mouthpiece I think I did a good Job;)

Attachments

• 20230311_173642.jpg
    20230311_173642.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230311_191307.jpg
    20230311_191307.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 30
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Manicure blocks and nail buffers are my way to go; you can't go wrong.
Unless of course you try really, really hard.
A possible next time you work on the stems do not remove them from the shanks.
Tape the shank with electrical tape just 1 mm above the junction.
Sand while making long, gentle strokes. When you do it properly it will keep the fit and flush intact.
It takes practice ; for now you did a fine job !
Forget about oxy or bleach, it makes no sense.
It will only bring more oxidation to the surface and cause damage to the rubber.
Sand em wet !! Micro-Mesh sheets do a fine job too.
Go get 'em tiger !

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
The stems appear to be switched.
You have eagle eyes!! I just found out that I Switched them :D thanks
And thanks for the advices!

I Use 500 paper for the worst dirt and then fine tune with 1000 1500 and 2000 sand wet after that I use polish attached to a drill to give it a glow.

Reactions: canucklehead

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Forums members do remarkable restorations, and most of my efforts are at maintenance, so I'll leave most of this thread to them. I will say you are wise to be cautious about reaming. It's good to be tentative and not remove too much cake. It's fun to ream, and a beginner can do a lot of damage scoring out the chamber.

But reaming is a key part in restorations where there is thick cake. So probably learn reaming on your least valuable and promising pipes, and still go easy.

With new pipes, or restored pipes you have gently reamed, you can avoid reaming altogether by scooping out the ash after each smoke and scouring out the chamber with an abrasive paper towel. This will maintain the diameter of the chamber in near new dimensions, reduce most ghosting other than Lakeland-like aromatics, and decrease or eliminate reaming.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
If soak the stems in Oxyclean (roughly one small scoop with a mason jar full of warm (not hot) water for at least 2 hours. Do not seal the jar. Remove, and run a pipe cleaner with alcohol (Everclear) to dry. This will also sterilize the stems, I believe. I use Mister Clean sheets to take off the initial gunk. Use micromesh sanding pads, wet, until the last 3 in the series. Then dry sand with the last pads in (they polish the stems). I then use Flitz glass cleaner, which is supposed to mitigate oxidation, I then use Brebria stem polisher, then I add one of the pipe waxes available from the online tobacco houses and polish. Some folks swear by obsidian oil. For the bowls, I ream out the old cake, throw a pipe cleaner in the shank, and fill the bowl with salt whetted with alcohol (Everclear). I let it soak for a few days at an angle (use an egg carton), I empty the salt mixture (be careful not to let the alcohol come in contact with the finish), I then use a good briar wax on the bowl, reassemble the pipe, and there you go. This is of course a lot easier if you have a buffing wheel, but I don't. I do have elbow grease and some patience. I only do this with estates; this method exceeds what is required for maintenance.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I bought a small pipe collection a while back and found that several of the pipes were clogged up. Putting a cleaner in the shank I could measure that the problem was a blockage down near where the draft hold comes into the bottom of the bowl. After tiddling with them a while I finally drilled them out. Reading this thread it occurred to me, I wonder if there is a simpler, easier way to unblock them? If any of you have one, please post it. I think that not only me, but others will be interested. puffy

Imeeerage1.jpg
The red area shows the blockage in question.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I bought a small pipe collection a while back and found that several of the pipes were clogged up. Putting a cleaner in the shank I could measure that the problem was a blockage down near where the draft hold comes into the bottom of the bowl. After tiddling with them a while I finally drilled them out. Reading this thread it occurred to me, I wonder if there is a simpler, easier way to unblock them? If any of you have one, please post it. I think that not only me, but others will be interested. puffy

View attachment 209015
Often the tars and :poop: is so inspissated that alcohol and pipe cleaners are inadequate.
I use small drill bits or jewellers screwdrivers to unclog, followed by shank brush and copious water flushes.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I spent a couple of hours this weekend cleaning the stems of my pipes.
Been using obsidian oil for some time now, with I should say, without too much success. Until now.
I was initially applying the oil to the stem, as described on the label, a few small drops, rubbed in, then buffed out with a soft cloth. The results were good, until I started smoking and the oil came off.
So, I changed the application method. applied the oil, sparingly and rubbed it in with my fingers, until it was almost gone. Left over night and removed any excess. Results!
I guess I wasn't rubbing the oil in hard enough during my original technique.

• Love
Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

View attachment 209015