PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
probably something that's been answered a thousand times, and I realize it varies by material, but what did you use to remove oxidation and polish the stem?

beautiful work btw
Thank you! The tried and true Oxiclean bath, Magic Eraser...and in this case Black Medium-Thick CA glue, 220-grit sandpaper and a needle file on the button...and then the usual polishing though all of the grades of micromesh pads. Finished with a dab of white nail polish on the stem logo, with the excess carefully micromeshed and wooden toothpicked off.

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
Simple enough. Thanks! Assuming it's a spray version of oxiclean vs the powered version we use in our laundry.

off to buy some non-pipe related stuff to clean my pipes - for once something for my pipes not counting against my limit from my wife!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Simple enough. Thanks! Assuming it's a spray version of oxiclean vs the powered version we use in our laundry.

off to buy some non-pipe related stuff to clean my pipes - for once something for my pipes not counting against my limit from my wife!
I use the powdered version! Grab a tub you don't care about, fill it with hot water, scoop in the oxi, toss in the stem and let it soak overnight. The oxidation will rise to the surface where you can scrub it away.

Reactions: turtlehead

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Well done! I bought a group of pipes several years ago and there was a Sunrise in the group. A rather sad looking pipe, but not abused. Spent some time cleaning it and it came came out looking good. Also a good smoker!

Reactions: fontbandit