PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Hey all-
I recently acquired a nice Comoy bulldog, a pipe that I have waited several years to find in my price range. It is in good shape overall with only a few deep toothmarks to complain about. I feel comfortable with de-oxidizing the stem as I have done that before. However, I would like to clean some of the cake off the rim and I am worried about ruining the finish. Please advise on the best technique. Also, what is the best tool to ream a tapered bowl like this?
P1100895_zpsw1yxa7ai.jpg

P1100896_zpsq6tb7tzd.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
That is nice. You can put a small amount of water in a saucer and let the rim sit to loosen the lava on the rim. I can usually just scrap it away with my finger nail. If its harder than that, some 1200 wet sand paper used VERY gently will help.

I usually ream carefully with a pipe knife. I don't have a set of reamers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hopefully that's just cake/schmutz/scorching and not charring. For the flat part of the rim, you can place the sandpaper voorhees mentions flat on a table, and carefully rotate the pipe. This should help in not rounding the edges of the rim.
I also ream with a pipe tool that has a blade with a blunt point. I do it slowly and bit by bit.
Please post back when you've cleaned her up! Sweet number!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
For something that delicate Id suggest 2000, 3000 or finer sandpaper, get the cloth back type and use wet/damp and take your time to be very careful.
Congrads on the find.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Start with the least aggressive method possible. I use sablebrush52's method, sometimes soaking one of those green Scotchbrite pads with coffee, placing it on a flat surface and gently rotating the rim on it. After most of the crud is off you can switch to saliva soaked cotton makeup pads.
The rim is probably going to be a bit dull after all that but you can buff and wax it to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.