PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryskid47

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Washington DC
I am about to try restaining a couple of pipes. Would I cover up the nickel bands first with painters tape or something similar? Or can it simply be cleaned off after the fact?
Thanks in advance.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Wouldn't hurt to take the precaustion of using blue tape. What's the worst that could happen? Nothing. What's the worst that could happen if you don't use the tape. I don't know but are you willing to find out? Blue tape is cheap.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
If you use an aniline (alcohol based) dye like Fiebings leather dye (the most commonly used dye by professional pipemakers), there's no need to mask if you don't want to as it wipes off easily with alcohol.

Reactions: seanv

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Leather dye! I always wondered if the stain was specific to pipe making or sourced from another use. I may not learn something every day, but I learned something today. If I can remember Fiebings.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I bought Morgans St Patrick's day Bones CW and thought I asked for a yellow stem but received a green one. Now that I look at it I think I will stain the stumel green. Wish me luck. I'll report on my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.