PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
From which I might learn something about how the leaf is turned into what I put into my pipe? Not that I want to do it, I'm simply interested in the process, how one style of tobacco is handled differently than others, how tobaccos vary from type and location. (Virginias are not just from Virginia, Virginia ...)

Reactions: beargreasediet

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Cornell and Diehl's YouTube page has some blend components description videos, as does (or did, it's been a while since I looked for them) Russ Oulette for Pipes and Cigars.

This site, pipes magazine also has a YouTube with a couple of videos of the STG factory with Per Jensen that I find fascinating for the machinery.

If internet videos are not your preferred medium, there are a couple of books that touch on the process, but none that get too deep into the technical nitty gritty. Carl Ehwa and Rich Esserman.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Carl Ehwa's book is excellent if you can find a copy. Carl's wife, Mary, told me back in the 1980s that she doubted the book would ever be reprinted. I don't know if it has been or not but if you can find a copy it's a great book.
Alfred Dunhill's book, The Gentle Art of Smoking is all so very informative.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Carl Ehwa's book is excellent if you can find a copy. Carl's wife, Mary, told me back in the 1980s that she doubted the book would ever be reprinted. I don't know if it has been or not but if you can find a copy it's a great book.
Alfred Dunhill's book, The Gentle Art of Smoking is all so very informative.
Copies are readily available on eBay, at ABEBooks, and likely wherever else you might shop for used books, based on a recent search.

Reactions: orvet and monty55