PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The title sounds like a sociological paper in an academic journal. I thought up a few residual effects, short answers, and maybe other short answers would provide an interesting read:
1) Of course everyone will run out and party, even people who never partied before.
2) A third of the population will remain in social isolation, either because they always were, or they decide they like it much better.
3) A number of large companies will mandate everyone work at home for the vast savings -- no property tax, no heat, a.c. and light, no maintenance.
4) The birthrate will not change, since one group stayed home and got pregnant, and another group couldn't get out to meet anyone.

And you take it from here.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I can't help but wonder what percentage of the population is actually isolated. I've read a few of the list of essential workers, from various states. Most jobs are actually considered essential. So the effects of all this might be pretty slim.

I believe the unemployment rate will be higher even after this is over. Just from people being displaced.

The crime rate will increase during this time, bored people do stupid stuff.. That will probably remain the case as those petty criminals get caught up in the justice system.

The Divorce rate will rise, as it did in China.

I do not expect the birth rate to increase, because of the reason you mentioned. Also, people just don't have as many babies as they did. This trend will only continue.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
My many long years of experience have convinced me that I could be labeled "Socially Retarded." I just don't fit in with any crowd I find myself temporarily associated with. Haven't even had a single visitor show up at the house for at least 5 years now.

This "social distancing" thing is no change at all, except for when I need to go out to fetch something.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny, several posts saying you are reclusive anyway. I'm pretty introverted too. So when I say to myself, "You'd better speak to these people," or, "you'd better try a little harder socially so these people won't think you're hostile," and so on. Now I just say, "Better stay away." Which is often my first thought anyway. This isn't a good therapy for people like me who need to prompt uncharacteristic social instincts. I have gotten a little closer to a few people by email or phone, so maybe it's sociability prompted by adversity after all.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yup, glad the government finally mandated what I believed to be the proper way for society to behave all along:LOL:. I have one of those jobs as a mechanic (the only one at the facility) of a food/bev distro company that makes me work every day. The only problem is that, only the people that are true selfish assholes are the only ones out running to Hobby Lobby and Sams Club doing recreational buying while most of the decent people stay at home like they are supposed to! Unforeseen effect in behavior of my wish to deal with less people......kinda ironic really

Reactions: bnichols23

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Yes, social distancing comes naturally for me too, as well as for my wife and kids for the most part. We're not weird anymore. Personally, even when things get back to "normal", I'm already trying to plan on how I can make this last through the holiday get-togethers.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
From when we left AZ the past 25 days we've driven about 3700 miles stopping in 14 states and "knock wood" so far so good
I normally enjoy a very socially isolated life but we're on day 13 of sort of quarantine since returning from a trip to NJ/NYC. Mrslax is getting very antsy to get back with friends and family.?

Status
Not open for further replies.