PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I stopped and bought a half pint of Captain Morgan so that I could try out Rumper blend using the blending perique I got from the B&M.
I've never attempted to case/flavor/top or even re-hydrate any pipe tobacco before, so I need some help in understanding what to do.
I'm a very procedural-minded person, so if someone could please describe how to do it for me step by step I would appreciate it.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Two approaches:
1.Easy way
Spread tobacco evenly on a plate. Fill a spray bottle with rum. Spritz until moist but not soaking wet. Place in dry area away from sunlight, pets and children. Allow to dry evenly by stirring hourly. When desired moisture level for smoking is achieved, smoke. This may take trial and error until you find the moisture "sweet spot". Jar the remainder.
2. Balls out
Pack the tobacco, somewhat firmly but not tightly, into a glass a bit larger than the amount of tobacco. Second, pour the rum so it is just even with the top of the tobacco. Wait until the rum soaks in. (I have no idea how long, really) You should see the volume increase, depending on the initial moisture level of the tobacco. Pour off the excess rum (there should not be much, if any), then spread out the tobacco on a glass or ceramic plate. Allow to dry away from sunlight and pets/children, stirring every couple hours so it dries evenly, until it reaches your most desired level of moisture for smoking, then smoke. Jar the remainder.
From my experiences with Herbal Healing, I understand the alcohol itself will release compounds otherwise dormant in the leaf. Alcohol soluble. This will alter and enhance the flavor. Chocolate and many other plant derived foods have similar properties when combined with alcohol. There may be no need to use spiced rum. I would recommend Bacardi 151 due to the higher proof will be more effective and not take as long to evaporate. It should still have a good rum flavoring.
Incidentally, if you just soak an ounce of tobacco in alcohol overnight, then drink it after straining/pressing out the tobacco, you will have ingested a strong tincture containing the alcohol soluble constituent properties of tobacco. You will, of course, become radically buzzed, violently ill, likely have a coronary and then probably die. But, you would have a nifty brown tincture to show your friends should you survive. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Tinsel,
Your post reminded me of a recipe for a Rum/VaPer flavor that I put together a few years ago. I scrambled through my Mason Jars to find it. I can't recall how much Perique I put into the blend, but I took some year 2002 G&H Rum Flake, rubbed it out fully, and then added a little year 1999 Perique from a Percy Martin Farms Jar of the stuff. I just loaded up a bowl and started smoking it as I type this post. Delicious!
Thank for kick starting my day!

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Mayfair's advice is sound.
The only thing you might want to take note of is that Perique tends to come on the wet side to begin with. It might behoove you to dry a bit before attempting the rum infusion.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Damn that sounds good. I think I might try to infuse some 50/50 McC's Navy Cavenidish/Anni Kake with Captain Morgan's.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As detailed in the Crowley Perique discussion, one method is to put it in a dish and sprinkle rum over it until it comes about halfway up the width of each strand. Let it sit in a dark warm place for awhile and the rum will dry and the Perique soak up the rest. Goes really well with Dark Fired Kentucky Burley!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This reminds me that I never got back to my jar of SemPer Cav.
I blended Semois and Perique with a little bit of unflavored Cavendish and then added a touch of Jameson Irish Whiskey.
It's been quite awhile since I put that jar away and it's time to see what happened. :puffy:

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Tinsel, Since you are procedural minded first thing to do is get a notebook! Since you already have Perique I'd suggest you get some pure Virginia Brightleaf. Try a blend (by weight) of 80% VBL and 20% Perique. Smoke some of that to get an understanding of what it tastes like before you start adding rum. Then pull small samples of your VaPer mix and add varying amounts of rum.. take notes. Tweak your blend to what you are happy with.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, and thanks to Mayfair for the very specific instructions.
As skrapsoftobacco sad, my perique is very moist in the jar. I am currently drying it so I can add the rum.
deathmetal and jitterbugdude, I will pick up some DFK and birght leaf virginia on my next order and try out your suggestions.
I'll report back when the RumPer is ready and I see how it turned out.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I have a jar of Wet Rumper in the cellar. I just take it out and let it dry on a paper towel. Wet Rumper :rofl:

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Is it possible to heat the rum first, evaporating some of the pure alcohol, leaving a denser product to absorb into the tobacco?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Possible? Yes. I would not recommend it. A higher proof rum will evaporate quicker. If you want to experiment, don't let me rain on your parade. I am all for the scientific process. :)
flambe-600x450.jpg

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Well my RumPer is finally ready. The weather has been cold and wet for the last 2 weeks and it took forever for the rum soaked tobacco to dry out.
I have to say that this stuff is pretty good. I'm gonna have to make sure to keep some mixed up at all times. It may become a regular part of the rotation.
It's not at all what I was expecting. Then again, I don't really know what I was expecting.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Not to take away from all the rum talk but I found Anise liquid yesterday and was thinking of trying to mix some with tobacco Ive got.

I think this thread has answered my question on how to go about the procedure.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.