PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I have been looking at some estate pipes, and figured I can find a nice old (usually expensive) pipe, I might grab one to try and restore it. It could be fun!

The only thing is, some look like they have chewed up stems, which I think is a bit icky. How easy is it to get replacements?

Thanks,

A

Reactions: MtnGeo and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have been looking at some estate pipes, and figured I can find a nice old (usually expensive) pipe, I might grab one to try and restore it. It could be fun!

The only thing is, some look like they have chewed up stems, which I think is a bit icky. How easy is it to get replacements?

Thanks,

A

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Thanks,

A
There is no “easy” replacement.
Best bet is to get a pipe without a ruined stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're focused on smoking function and general appearance, a replacement stem can be great. For one thing, you can escape the overdone black and dark stem cliche and get tortoise shell or a tasteful color and make the pipe far more interesting than it was. A good pipe repairman can match up the stem to the shank with precision and tune the length and straightness or degree of bend to suit you. I have about four MM cob replacement stems and one freehand gift pipe that came with a badly oxidized and oxidizing stem. It clouded and became grainy after being polished to a shine in about one smoke. Just bear in mind, any upmarket pipe from a name brand will lose serious value with a replacement stem. But with antique shop and yard sale pipes, this is often no consideration. I recommend replacement stems in general, when it upgrades the pipe.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yes, restoration work can be fun...

Thanks,

A
Depending on the stem, it can either be repaired using various techniques, or outright replaced.

Replacements are easy to find. You just have to do the work to fit and finish the replacement to the pipe. There are molded blanks which require a lesser level of involvement, or rod stock which requires a significant level of involvement.

That involves a certain amount of time, tools, and a learning curve. If you are willing to make that investment, it can be very rewarding.

Sending a pipe to have somebody else do the replacement somewhat negates any savings. And depending on who does the work, the level of fit and finish on the completed piece is variable.

There are many old pipes floating around that are worth the time and trouble to restore. And they're not making any more of them.

But it's not like working on an old car. You won't find NOS/refurbished replacement parts you can just bolt on in a catalog.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If the pipe has value be sure to keep the stem you replaced. Stem creation probably won't be done by the original carver. Certainly easier to find someone who makes replacement stems as opposed to a true pipe repair guy.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I see you're in London.

One option is The Danish Pipe Shop. Choice of acrylic or vulcanite.

I have an old Loewe with replacement stem complete with correct orific bit made by Mike Billington of Blakemar Pipes.

Geoff Watson of Cambridge Pipe Repairs does magnificent work on restoring any old pieces. I've just received a 1912 Loewe Bent Billiard from him and will post some pics of the pipe later today.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Depending on a pipe and brand, if it is a higher-end pipe, You won't want a crappy stem fitted, If You are in England I will refer to a OZ Piper advice above and will add Mr I Walker at Northern Briars to this list,I'd guess BlakemarBriars is a most cost-effective place though,

Reactions: Ag®o and jpmcwjr

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Thanks everyone, some great advice. As per Oz, I might get Blaekmar Briars to make a replacement stem, and was already thinking like mso about getting a more exciting colour then the traditional black acrylic.

Te rest of the pipe I think I was have a crack at.

We'll see if I win the bid!

Reactions: OzPiper

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There is no “easy” replacement.
Best bet is to get a pipe without a ruined stem.
Briarville has done out standing work replacing unique stems. Rich can transfer the hardware, and replace the stem with an exact replica of the shape. Easy. The only work you have to do is pay him the money. Most replacements are about $30. You need only decide vulcanite, acrylic, shape, color.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Thanks everyone, some great advice. As per Oz, I might get Blaekmar Briars to make a replacement stem, and was already thinking like mso about getting a more exciting colour then the traditional black acrylic.

Te rest of the pipe I think I was have a crack at.

We'll see if I win the bid!
I improved several of my pipes by going to acrylic and choosing some rather fascinating colors. Oddly enough, I noticed that Peterson, years later, used the exact flaming orange stem on a 999 that I changed mine over too. What can I say, sometimes, you are simply ahead of the curve.

Reactions: Ag®o