PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I have a Peterson 315 System Std P-Lip. Can the P-Lip stem just be swapped out for a fishtail? Smokingpipes.com sells P-lip replacements (out of stock) but mentions, "P-Lip and fishtail stems feature a different taper to their bases, for best fit a P-Lip or fishtail stem should be replaced with one of the same style". I'm confused, does that mean a pipe sold with a P-Lip is built different than a pipe sold with a Fishtail?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I never got around to swapping out the p-lip of my Sterling Silver 80s Bulldog and before I realized it I was used to smoking the pipe with great results, p-lip and all. I suggest giving it a chance, as you can always change it later.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It sounds like both stems are different, but can be swapped, as long as the aesthetics don't both you.
Why the aversion to P-lips? Just curious. I have a nicely restored Pete headed my way with a p-lip and I will see what all the fuss is for myself.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
In case it wasn’t clear, Warren recommended you contact Peterson directly. This is an excellent suggestion. They aren’t a megacorp. They will respond if you reach out and no one has more information about your 315 then the folks that made it. This is a common question for them and they will help you to fit whatever stem you like.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Horrible, horrible p-lips.....get rid of it quickly. Pack it up nicely,send it to me and put this tragic incident behind you :)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I have a deluxe system and it’s likely the coolest smoking pipe in my collection. That pipe puts a unique spin on whatever is in the bowl. The plip took some getting used to but I’m a fan. Different strokes. I have another with one of those amber jobbies that I like too, but I’m not actively looking for more at this point. Great pipes with interesting stems that open the door to a different way to pipe. All good, imo.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks bnichols, I'll take that as a compliment :)
But seriously, p-lips are great. I'm a clencher and even my Pete 307, which is a larger pipe hangs perfectly balanced in my teeth. That little extra notch makes all the difference and it really does make for cooler smoke.
Of course, YMMV but I'll take a p=lip over a fishtail any day.
Now, is there anyone that convert my meer to a p-lip?

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Maybe I should give the P-Lip another try. I kinda like to sip on the button. For me, I feel like I have to insert more of the P-lip stem in to my mouth and it's just uncomfortable to me.

Reactions: eljimmy

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Most of my Petes have p-lips. I'm not a clencher and, personally, I notice no difference in my smoking experience between p-lips and fishtails. I've always tended to buy the p-lip if given a choice simply because to me it's part of the Peterson design aesthetic. The 1 down-side for me re p-lips, though, is they seem a bit harder to clear of oxidation than fishtails.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
My first P lip pipe was a straight de luxe shape 15. I could not do with it so I had a fishtail stem instead.

Many P lip pipes later, I regret that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought one P-lip, a Pete 999/Rhodesian, and it has remained the only one I own. It's kind of a nice change when it comes around in rotation, but I find I end up with more bit in my mouth, and the smoke directed at the roof of my mouth isn't an improvement from my point of view. Perfectly okay, not annoying, but not something I'd like in other pipes. I did replace one P-lip on a pipe gifted to me, but that was because it was an estate and I could not keep the Vulcanite from oxidizing with every smoke. I definitely prefer it with a fishtail stem. This is a Thompson Cigar house pipe stamped "West Germany," so likely from the eighties or before, lovely piece of briar in a freehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.