PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I have a new Peterson pipe which I really like, except for the mouthpiece. It's a half-bent P-Lip stem, and I don't like the P-Lip feature. I'd never tried one before, and in fact didn't even know quite what P-Lip meant when I ordered the pipe (I should have done that little bit of research!). I'd like to replace the stem with a normal one. Would Peterson sell replacement stems by mail, or do I need to just go to a third party for that. I know from asking a more general question about replacing stems that you usually need to have your pipe fitted for a replacement stem, but since this is a pipe that Peterson is currently manufacturing, I thought it's possible they know that one of their own standard stems would fit it. If not, does Peterson offer any kind of servicing for their own pipes?

In case anyone else is unfamiliar with P-Lips, the opening at the end of the stem that goes in your mouth has the hole situated so smoke is directed up toward the roof of your mouth to help avoid tongue-bite. But I don't have much of a problem with tongue-bite, and I find that my ability to taste the smoke is lessened by the placement of the opening.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Call Laudisi (smokingpipes.com) and they can do it since they bought Peterson. You will have to send them the pipe but they can replace it with a fishtail stem, at least that’s what they told me about two weeks ago. I think it’s about $40 or so but it might be less for your pipe (mine was a vintage meerschaum bulldog).

They gave me a direct line to call the right department / division and I wrote it down and haven’t called yet. They also gave me a name for a guy in Idaho who might do it if Laudisi / Peterson doesn’t want to mess with an unusual older pipe. Very helpful folks, give them a call!

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Looks like you want a fishtail stem. Below is a cut-and-pasted post from another forum that might be helpful, but I’m sure others on here will be able to provide additional info. GL.

“I have an old 305 I got on ebay, and it arrived with a broken stem. I contacted Peterson and they replied: "All the stems are handmade to fit the pipes ,so you will have to send the pipe back to us here in Dublin Ireland to get fitted. It cost € 36.00 plus € 16.00 return postage..."

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Call Laudisi (smokingpipes.com) and they can do it since they bought Peterson. You will have to send them the pipe but they can replace it with a fishtail stem, at least that’s what they told me about two weeks ago. I think it’s about $40 or so but it might be less for your pipe (mine was a vintage meerschaum bulldog).

They gave me a direct line to call the right department / division and I wrote it down and haven’t called yet. They also gave me a name for a guy in Idaho who might do it if Laudisi / Peterson doesn’t want to mess with an unusual older pipe. Very helpful folks, give them a call!
Among other things I didn't know: 1) That Laudisi had bought Peterson! That explains the special on Peterson pipes! 2) That's what a "fishtail" pipe fishtail stem is.

Thanks for the tip about calling Smokingpipes.com!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have a new Peterson pipe which I really like, except for the mouthpiece. It's a half-bent P-Lip stem, and I don't like the P-Lip feature. I'd never tried one before, and in fact didn't even know quite what P-Lip meant when I ordered the pipe (I should have done that little bit of research!). I'd like to replace the stem with a normal one. Would Peterson sell replacement stems by mail, or do I need to just go to a third party for that. I know from asking a more general question about replacing stems that you usually need to have your pipe fitted for a replacement stem, but since this is a pipe that Peterson is currently manufacturing, I thought it's possible they know that one of their own standard stems would fit it. If not, does Peterson offer any kind of servicing for their own pipes?

In case anyone else is unfamiliar with P-Lips, the opening at the end of the stem that goes in your mouth has the hole situated so smoke is directed up toward the roof of your mouth to help avoid tongue-bite. But I don't have much of a problem with tongue-bite, and I find that my ability to taste the smoke is lessened by the placement of the opening.
Another option to consider is to sell it and buy another or trade it for something you would like. You might save money in the long run by the time you pay for a new stem and shipping both ways.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Among other things I didn't know: 1) That Laudisi had bought Peterson! That explains the special on Peterson pipes! 2) That's what a "fishtail" pipe fishtail stem is.

Thanks for the tip about calling Smokingpipes.com!
Yes it’s $40 plus shipping and they do it there in SC. Will take at least a month.. probably 2 but don’t quote me on that.

Reactions: ofafeather

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I just got a replacement stem from Vermont freehand and cleaned it up/bent it myself. I love the look of plips, but they just don’t work for me unfortunately.

The stem I got was for my 312 and it is their Round Taper Vulcanite - 503. It is advertised as plip but mine came more like an orific button which I prefer

Status
Not open for further replies.