PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I could probably search and find answers for this, but it may be best to make sure I get the current straight dope. I have a couple of pipes that I really like, but I'd just like them to be a bit longer, probably about an inch.

One is a straight Peterson 2020 Christmas pipe. It's not a bad length, probably about 5.5", but I'd like to try it with a slightly longer stem. The stem is kind of nice, but nothing too notable IMO, so maybe I can try something a bit different, and at least see what my options are. Maybe I can get more than one for it.

The others are Rossi and/or Savinelli Author and/or Prince pipes, bent and half-bent, and I'd probably just want black replacement stems, again about an inch longer.

1. Can I simply order replacement stems for these, as they're not unusual or rare or old pipes? If so, where from?

2.1 If I have to have stems custom made or fitted, as I THINK I've read you do because individual pipes from a line of factory-made pipes will still vary, where do you recommend I get them?

2.2 If going the custom route, do I need to send someone only the stems, or the whole pipes?

Can you tell I'm a Technical Writer? ? Thanks in advance!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I would highly recommend Blue Room Briars. Jesse's stems are super comfortable and drilled perfectly! You would have to send the whole pipe. The mortise and tenon would be impossible to get right without both pieces and so would making the fit flush.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I could probably search and find answers for this, but it may be best to make sure I get the current straight dope. I have a couple of pipes that I really like, but I'd just like them to be a bit longer, probably about an inch.

One is a straight Peterson 2020 Christmas pipe. It's not a bad length, probably about 5.5", but I'd like to try it with a slightly longer stem. The stem is kind of nice, but nothing too notable IMO, so maybe I can try something a bit different, and at least see what my options are. Maybe I can get more than one for it.

The others are Rossi and/or Savinelli Author and/or Prince pipes, bent and half-bent, and I'd probably just want black replacement stems, again about an inch longer.

1. Can I simply order replacement stems for these, as they're not unusual or rare or old pipes? If so, where from?

2.1 If I have to have stems custom made or fitted, as I THINK I've read you do because individual pipes from a line of factory-made pipes will still vary, where do you recommend I get them?

2.2 If going the custom route, do I need to send someone only the stems, or the whole pipes?

Can you tell I'm a Technical Writer? ? Thanks in advance!
Contact Laudasi, they provide factory replacement stems for Savinelli and Peterson for $35.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Contact Laudasi, they provide factory replacement stems for Savinelli and Peterson for $35.

even if You order exact replacement stem with shape reference there is still high likelihood it wont fit straightaway

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I would highly recommend Blue Room Briars. Jesse's stems are super comfortable and drilled perfectly! You would have to send the whole pipe. The mortise and tenon would be impossible to get right without both pieces and so would making the fit flush.

I bought an estate pipe from Blue Room Briars which had a new replacement stem (in the pipe's description) which was very well done.

If you're not in the USA, The Danish Pipe Shop is a good choice. They made me a new stem for an old Stanwell and did an excellent job. You can choose either vulcanite or acrylic but will have to send them the whole pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.