PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Good Friday! I would covet wisdom and recommendations for replacement blends for McClelland’s Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue and Wilderness. I absolutely loved those blends as they were my first introduction to English and Latakia. Thank you!

Reactions: ofafeather

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I like Hearth and Home's Black House and C&D's Rajah's Court (less latakia and more orientals) but there are many other good ones.

Reactions: ofafeather

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can look if you want but McClellands matches are pretty tough to find. There are zillions of tobaccos to chose from of the English variety.

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I should add that "Syrian Latakia" as used by McClelland is no more. Therefore, an exact match is impossible. Explore various blenders' "Balkans" and find what you like among the current offerings.
Allow me to further recommend GL Pease's Quiet Nights for a heavier lat content.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, I didn't know that, having never smoked it. Then my recommendations will be closer to what the McClellan blend tasted like.
Quiet Nights is a bit of a Latakia bomb compared to the McClelland blends in question. Stokkebye/Arango Balkan Supreme and Peretti Royal would be closer to the Latakia content.

Reactions: OldWill

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Probably not “great” alignment with your search, but I remember my first tin of G.L. Pease Lagonda - with a little over 4 yrs of age on it brought Blue Mountain to mind. It will likely be an enjoyable trial even if it leaves something to be desired in the similarity category. I haven’t smoked it fresh, but it would likely be sharper and a touch less sweet than my experience.