Replacement Meerschaum Insert Bowls for a Gourd Calabash? Looking to Have One Made.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I have a Pioneer gourd calabash. Its bowl, which had tiny cracks when I got it, finally fell apart. I've glued it back together in order to take measurements. I have a very specific hope for it: I'd like a bowl that's lattice-carved. Like the Kirsten bowl pictured, which was made new. Its carver can make a custom calabash bowl out of block, but I'm wondering who else does. Are there other carvers doing custom, block meerschaum calabash bowls? Mine is also an unusually large side, larger than any I've seen on various meerschaum sites. The diameter where it fits into the cork ring is a whopping 53mm, outer diameter 81mm! I love his 'burnt' edges, a la the Lee Van Cleef pipes, and I'd love that on it, too, but it's not extremely important.

ToLOSoO.jpg

This is a 1980s C.A.O. lattice calabash bowl.

FIPpwiy.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Incase you’re still on the hunt, I saw this site the other day

Reactions: hyoutang

OldManFrog

Lurker
Aug 2, 2022
The Woodlands
Was wondering how this worked out for you. Looking for a replacement bowl for my calabash to replace the ceramic bowl it came with (which I dropped and chipped). I tried emailing the store above but no reply. Hoping they are just busy. Any suggestions for other sources would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2019
Honestly, your favorite online meerschaum dealer can probably do you a job. The sure fire way would be to simply send them the gourd/pipe and ask for a bowl to be fitted - often they'll be able to do something that'll even fit in the original case.

Altinok has done custom jobs for me (although not a calabash bowl replacement) and is great with communications along the way.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Was wondering how this worked out for you. Looking for a replacement bowl for my calabash to replace the ceramic bowl it came with (which I dropped and chipped). I tried emailing the store above but no reply. Hoping they are just busy. Any suggestions for other sources would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post a pic of the damage. You might be able to repair it with plaster of Paris. I’ve done this a few times and it’s been successful, only place it can get tricky is around the hole at the bottom of the cup

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Another option is to have a BRIAR bowl made.

It isn't something you see often but is actually better than meer for a basher, IMO, because it's MUCH lighter in weight, more durable / less delicate, and more streamlined / less clunky-mushroomy looking.

Plus, any pipe maker can spin you one whereas not all carvers have access to meerschaum or (necessarily) know how to shape it. (It's easy if you know how, but tricky if you don't.)

P1020221.JPG
P1020223.JPG

OldManFrog

Lurker
Aug 2, 2022
The Woodlands
Another option is to have a BRIAR bowl made.

It isn't something you see often but is actually better than meer for a basher, IMO, because it's MUCH lighter in weight, more durable / less delicate, and more streamlined / less clunky-mushroomy looking.

Plus, any pipe maker can spin you one whereas not all carvers have access to meerschaum or (necessarily) know how to shape it. (It's easy if you know how, but tricky if you don't.)

View attachment 169908
View attachment 169909
That's really nice! Might look into briar instead. I do a lot of work on the lathe and might be able to do this myself. Thanks for the tip and pics!

OldManFrog

Lurker
Aug 2, 2022
The Woodlands
Honestly, your favorite online meerschaum dealer can probably do you a job. The sure fire way would be to simply send them the gourd/pipe and ask for a bowl to be fitted - often they'll be able to do something that'll even fit in the original case.

Altinok has done custom jobs for me (although not a calabash bowl replacement) and is great with communications along the way.
Awesome, thanks!