PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Two questions then:

1) I recall somebody saying that dried out tobacco could be rehydrated once but I never did find out why that is, if true. I can't think of why this would be so I'm hoping it isn't the case as I've only now got myself some proper Mason jars (more arriving soon) and want to get more moisture in a couple tins of tobacco that's already dried out and been revived once.

2) I also remember reading here that tobacco shouldn't be left sitting in the chamber, lit or unlit. Lately I've been starting a bowl on my lunch break then finishing it off when I get home some six hours later (yes I work long shifts!), what might the issue be with doing this?

As for unlit tobacco, I sometimes pack a bowl and then don't get around to lighting it for an hour or two for whatever reason. I can't think why this would be bad for it but apparently it is, so I'm curious why.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Many people pack their pipes the night before for the following day. Pre-packing should not be a problem. Same with finishing partial bowls later. Some like it and some don't. If you do, go with it.

As tobacco dries, it begins losing the essential oils that provide the flavors. You can replace moisture but not the lost oils. Multiple cycles of dehydration and re-hydration chisel away at the flavor compounds.

Non-aromatic tobaccos can be pretty dry and still be fine. In fact, you should try "overdrying" some and seeing how you like it. Many have a revelation of smoking enjoyment once they figure out just how dry they can go.

1585195605483.jpeg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sure about the first question, but as to keeping tobacco in the chamber should be fine. Typically I don't have hours to finish the bowl, so I let the pipe go out and come back to it later. Some members pack their pipes night before, or pack multiple pipes in the morning. I think what some people are worried about is some blend ghosting the pipe and leaving scent behind. I guess that might be possible, but most Va, Va/Per or English blends shouldn't do that.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I wouldn't bother with rehydrating tobacco. I personally prefer it very dry. Burns better, and I prefer how the cake builds up with dry tobacco.

Also, I sometimes only smoke half or 3/4 of a bowl and have come back to it later in the day, and sometimes days later. I have not noticed any Ill effects.

Been doing both for years.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unless it is so dry it crumbled to dust, why bother with rehydrating? As far as leaving tobacco in the chamber, pre packing is fine. I also find most Va dominant blends are fine if partially smoked then returned to later. In many cases, perhaps even better. OTOH, I find Latakia dominant blends can be a bit more like cigars, they get a bit bitter if left to sit after being lit previously. YMMV.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think where you heard about leaving tobacco in the chamber would be like if you smoked half a pipe then left it sit for a really long time.. like weeks or months. It can sour a pipe if it’s really wet, but I haven’t had any problems. I’ve left a pipe half smoked for 6 months and then finished it. No worries. If you normally smoke really wet tobacco you might not want to do it. Also you can let the pipe go out and light it again as many times as you want as long as you think it still tastes fine.

As for rehydration I would just smoke the dry tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would add one thing about returning to a half smoked bowl of tobacco. When you sit the pipe down the first time, run a pipe cleaner through to the bottom of the bowl to soak up excess moisture. If you don't that moisture will likely be soaked up by the tobacco and could contribute to the pipe being bitter when you return to smoking it. I've seen some people even leave the pipe cleaner in the pipe until they return. I don't do that, I'd rather soak up the moisture then leave the pipe free to breathe.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
As tobacco dries, it begins losing the essential oils that provide the flavors. You can replace moisture but not the lost oils. Multiple cycles of dehydration and re-hydration chisel away at the flavor compounds.

View attachment 23865
How are the "essential oils" lost?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but oils don't evaporate. If that's right then how are the oils "lost"?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I bought a pouch of SWR at a local tobacco store. When I got it home and opened the pouch, it was so dry it was dusty and did'nt smoke well at all. I rehydrated it in a bowl with a wet paper towel over it. I left it out on the kitchen counter over night. I did'nt have much hope that it would turn out well, but it did.

That was the pouch that got my me stuck on SWR. So in my case it worked out really well.

As for whether or not to leave burnt, or unburnt tobacco in the pipe, I do it all the time. If its half burnt, I've noticed it will taste a little crappy after about 24 hours. If its unburnt you could get away with longer. How long depends on your local humidity.

Reactions: chopper and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Please correct me if I'm wrong but oils don't evaporate. If that's right then how are the oils "lost"?
I don't know about the essential oils, but esters, aldehydes, alcohols and many other aroma compounds will evaporate away with the moisture. But base tobaccos are dry as a bone before being rehydrated during processing and packing so what's really evaporating is flavorings and humectants.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here

I probably could have used some scientifically more accurate terminology, but formed my understanding of this from the words of G.L. Pease:

Q: What about moisture level?

A: This is a matter of personal taste and preference. I tend to like my tobaccos a little on the dry side, with about 11-12% moisture content, but others like their tobaccos much wetter. Tobacco is packaged in order to assure optimal keeping and aging qualities. The moisture content in the tin can be anywhere from 12-18% for natural tobaccos, and as high as 28-40% for some very heavily cased aromatics. This may not be optimal for smoking. Generally, I'll open a tin and let it air a bit before smoking it. While this does risk losing some of the more volatile flavor and aroma components, the cooler, drier smoke more than makes up for the minor losses. Once a tobacco blend becomes bone dry, however, it can never be fully restored to its original flavor. It's important to store tobacco in such a way that its moisture is preserved. Air-tight is always right!

1585202672053.jpeg

Reactions: chopper and rushx9

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I don't know about the essential oils, but esters, aldehydes, alcohols and many other aroma compounds will evaporate away with the moisture. But base tobaccos are dry as a bone before being rehydrated during processing and packing so what's really evaporating is flavorings and humectants.
The compounds could also break down over time, react with others components in the tobacco and with the oxygen in the air.

Reactions: rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Whenever I’ve employed DGT it’s been on accident, but I’ve noticed no ill effects. Smoked a half done bowl as much as 30 hours later and it was plenty enjoyable.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Many people pack their pipes the night before for the following day. Pre-packing should not be a problem. Same with finishing partial bowls later. Some like it and some don't. If you do, go with it.

Non-aromatic tobaccos can be pretty dry and still be fine. In fact, you should try "overdrying" some and seeing how you like it. Many have a revelation of smoking enjoyment once they figure out just how dry they can go.

Thanks, this makes sense. I suppose my aim then should be to keep it in its revived state rather than allowing it to dry out and then attempting to resurrect it. I'd been hesitant to use my moisture blocks again because of that earlier advice.

I have smoked incredibly dry tobacco actually, this was the situation I found myself in after my first wave of tobaccos gradually dried out due to me foolishly thinking those rubber rimmed latch jars would work as well as Masons or that the 50g round tins would keep it air tight once opened (though obviously I was letting air in every time I dipped in to pack a bowl). I was out of work for a stretch and burned through my supplies, most of which were now bone dry. It was smokeable but I enjoyed it a lot more once I rehydrated them at least to the point that I actually needed a lighter and not just mild friction to get them burning.

bullet08 said:
I think what some people are worried about is some blend ghosting the pipe and leaving scent behind. I guess that might be possible, but most Va, Va/Per or English blends shouldn't do that.

Aha! This explains it. Yes I rarely smoke aromatics and never leave it in the chamber for an obscene stretch of time. At the most I might pack the bowl then decide I'm too tired to smoke the whole thing and leave it for the next day rather than leaving it half smoked, so I won't worry about such things anymore.

hoosierpipeguy said:
I would add one thing about returning to a half smoked bowl of tobacco. When you sit the pipe down the first time, run a pipe cleaner through to the bottom of the bowl to soak up excess moisture.

Great advice, I'd not thought of that

Thanks all round for the informative responses as usual.