PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Have a relatively new (smoked perhaps 30 times) Altinay Meer with 9mm Filter. Normally the Stem removes by clockwise rotation and the screw-in tenon remains in the mortise (as it should be). Yesterday though when doing my normal clockwise rotation to remove the filter the whole tenon came out of the shank, and cannot be screwed in again. The tenon with the filter was also stuck in the stem and I had to take it out with pliers. I am not sure if this can be repaired, e.g. by gluing the screw-in tenon into the mortise. A bit disappointed overall with the pipe, since it was not dropped or otherwise damaged, and since a 9mm filter pipe is meant to have the stem taken off every time you smoke. 20210307_100031 (1).jpg20210307_100054 (1).jpg20210307_100212 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
You could try wrapping PTFE tape around the male thread?

Regards,

Jay.?
Actually, when my threads on my Pioneer meer became stripped, I wrapped duct tape around the tenon and turned it into a push-type tenon. Worked great, though you can see some of the tape.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Thanks guys.. will try the tape method, although it does not feel as if there is enough space. Reluctant to use glue, but might try that as a last option.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
MMMMmmm, I would send it to someone to be done right and done. Just me though...

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Have a relatively new (smoked perhaps 30 times) Altinay Meer with 9mm Filter. Normally the Stem removes by clockwise rotation and the screw-in tenon remains in the mortise (as it should be). Yesterday though when doing my normal clockwise rotation to remove the filter the whole tenon came out of the shank, and cannot be screwed in again. The tenon with the filter was also stuck in the stem and I had to take it out with pliers. I am not sure if this can be repaired, e.g. by gluing the screw-in tenon into the mortise. A bit disappointed overall with the pipe, since it was not dropped or otherwise damaged, and since a 9mm filter pipe is meant to have the stem taken off every time you smoke. View attachment 69476View attachment 69477View attachment 69478
Hello @goldenmole,
Sorry for your problem.
Although rarely, removing the mouthpiece after smoking while the pipe is hot and humid can cause this.
No worry.
If you send us we fix it.
Have a nice day..

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Hello @goldenmole,
Sorry for your problem.
Although rarely, removing the mouthpiece after smoking while the pipe is hot and humid can cause this.
No worry.
If you send us we fix it.
Have a nice day..
Thanks for the offer Said. I am still thinking of attempting to glue the part back in, instead of going through the hassle of sending a parcel to Turkey. Indeed I did smoke out in cold conditions, and the pipe was still hot when removing the mouthpiece.. so I should have been more careful with the pipe. Anyway: this shows to me that Meerschaum pipes are perhaps not the way to go for me personally, with smoking only outdoors, more than half of the year in cold conditions. I will keep an eye out for Spigot Meers though, assuming that they would be less sensitive to the constant removal of the stem (Filter only smoker here)...

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
Thanks for the offer Said. I am still thinking of attempting to glue the part back in, instead of going through the hassle of sending a parcel to Turkey. Indeed I did smoke out in cold conditions, and the pipe was still hot when removing the mouthpiece.. so I should have been more careful with the pipe. Anyway: this shows to me that Meerschaum pipes are perhaps not the way to go for me personally, with smoking only outdoors, more than half of the year in cold conditions. I will keep an eye out for Spigot Meers though, assuming that they would be less sensitive to the constant removal of the stem (Filter only smoker here)...
@goldenmole You're welcome.
Yes spigot systems more durable about removing stem while smoking. But however, we do not recommend if the pipe is too hot.
I have a suggestion if you prefer to fix this by yourself; cut the screwed part of teflon tenon. So you will get 9mm tube. And fix it to the shank with glue.

Reactions: goldenmole
Status
Not open for further replies.