PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

A friend of mine gifted me a dunhill with a blast finish. I think it was treated with carnauba wax which has filled in some of the most craggy areas, and I am meticulously and slowly removing the wax with a sharp wood toothpick. I wonder if anyone has any experience with a more thorough and speedy method?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Thanks, I tried that but unfortunately the wax is too hard and the only thing that seems to remove it is something harder than the toothbrush, ie the sharp toothpick. I even tried a very hard nylon bristled gun brush, but that was + like the toothbrush.. ineffective.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if a really stiff bristled brush like those black bristled brushes that come in the wire brush set doesn't work.. toothpick is the only way I've found.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Don't be too enthusiastic, whatever you do. If you go too far, you can't go back. BTW, who's the carver in your member picture?
Yes, thank you. I think I need to stick to the toothpick method. It will take a while. Then when I'm done, Renaissance wax.

Per your question, I commissioned a pipe from Trevor Talbert nearly 20 years ago, asking for specific attributes related to a coastline. Trevor figured it out and named it the "Cote Sauvage", meaning Savage Coast in French. He carved it while in Brittany. He is a remarkable Carver.

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions.

Reactions: rmpeeps

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Thanks for the hair dryer and heat gun ideas. I may give that a try because it would be exponentially easier than this work with a toothpick, which I can barely see properly. Thanks again.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I tried a hair dryer, and it did work, but when removing the wax it smeared right back into the crevices again. So I resorted to some dental tools with very sharp points and the work went far more quickly. I needed to be careful of course but the wax comes off far more easily than the finish of the pipe so I completed the work cleaned it up and then finished it with Renaissance wax and it looks marvelous. If I can ever figure out how to do so I will try to post a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.