Removing Stingers. A Couple Of Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
There's another thread where a member is trying to remove a stinger from a Jeantet. I have pipes with stingers, some easy to remove, some are not meant to be removed.

Here's the questions:
Has anyone ever removed a "permanent" stinger, one that is meant not to be removed?
If so, how did you remove it? Cut it off?
Lastly, how did you deal with the part of the stinger that was left in the stem? Assuming that a piece of the stinger was still stuck inside.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
usually the only permanent stingers are those integrated to a threaded fitting.
what pipe do you have with a permanent stinger? Kaywoodie?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
usually the only permanent stingers are those integrated to a threaded fitting.
what pipe do you have with a permanent stinger? Kaywoodie?
This is a Dusky Dulcet Bulldog with a permanent stinger. I don't plan on removing the stinger. I'm more curious on how to remove it if someone decided to.

20200227_123744 - Edited.jpg

I'm sure it can be done...just want to know how.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
what makes you think that is permanent?

have you tried lightly heating and unscrewing it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That was an interesting saga. I'm glad the right member spoke up, with the right fix. The few stingers I've encountered have slipped right out without a struggle, clearly meant to be optional. I've saved them in case I sold the pipes, which I probably won't. My Kaywoodie Drinkless Ruf-Tone has a screw-in stinger that attaches the stem to the shank, and isn't removable; you could saw it off and rig some kind of push bit, but it wouldn't be worth it, and the pipe smokes well and cleans easily and quickly. I like the old time design, but don't need more than one.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A lot of times if they have been smoked there is goop around them that feels really solid.. or if unsmoked they have often oxidized slightly around the stinger which makes them tight.

P

Plasticmask

Of what good might a PLASTIC stinger be? I found one inside of a recently purchased Wally Frank LTD. Removed and put it with all of the others I have in the "useless things" section of my toolkit, but it's the only plastic stinger I've ever seen!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Re Kaywoodie aluminum stingers, I use a 1/8” Dremel spherical bit & open the main draft hole. Use the slowest setting on the Dremel. Then I’ll use a drill bit (forget the size) to open the holes on the stinger sphere. After cleaning, I test the stem for draw. If still too tight, I’ll flare /fan out the fishtail bit. This usually does the trick. Just remember to clean out the draft hole with soap & a pipe cleaner, then flush with water.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Other than removing and discarding the little cheap metal tubing stingers, I usually just clean them and leave them in place.

I haven’t had any issues. The proper moisture of the tobacco and smoking cadence are more important in order to avoid excess moisture.

When I want to smoke a tobacco on the wetter side, I usually use a Kirsten or a Byford, since the moisture doesn’t block the airway so much with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.