PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Wondering if anyone have any tips/recommendations on how best to remove the stem shanks from Missouri Meerschaum or Old Dominion pipes.

Should I try to heatgun and pull or, if the binding agent is set, just cut it out with a craft saw?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share some knowledge.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
I can help with this, I do it all the time. Firmly grasp pipe and shank and start wiggling hard! Don’t worry, you won’t crack the pipe or shank, they are tougher than they look. The factory glue they use should break pretty easy, but when you use( reccomended) Elmer’s wood glue be happy with it, you’ll never break it loose again.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
A lot of times I just use a Dremel with a straight blade and go right into the bowl. You do have to be careful but, there is no re-gluing. This is, of course, if you are just trying to rid yourself of that pesky excess. If you just wish to remove the whole thing, you already have the best advice.

mackthe419

Lurker
Feb 1, 2021
Toledo
www.facebook.com
So, what do you do if they used so much glue that the shank doesn't budge? I have a dagger poker with a cracked shank and another drilled crooked that's so thin light shines through it and the stem goes in at an angle. I want make a new shank out of oak dowel.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
C

carolinasmokes

So, what do you do if they used so much glue that the shank doesn't budge? I have a dagger poker with a cracked shank and another drilled crooked that's so thin light shines through it and the stem goes in at an angle. I want make a new shank out of oak dowel.
Take the stem and ferrule off the shank and put the bowl in a microwave for 12 seconds or so to soften the glue. Wiggle a bit and pull the shank out.

Status
Not open for further replies.