PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dturrell

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have a leather bowl/stem Longchamp pipe with caked (bit thick) paint/stain on the leather...any recommendations on removal that would do least damage to leather?
I've "picked" away as much as I want to do w/o scratching the leather or cutting into the threads.... it is purely cosmetic/vanity, has no effect on the pipe performance..

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An automobile detailer who regularly cleans leather upholstery in cars might have a suggestion. It sounds like a tricky assignment, depending on how the leather was tanned and what the paint or stain is. It might end up looking a little irregular anyway, so leaving it as-is might be an option.

dturrell

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
Do you have a leather craft store nearby? We have Tandy Leather stores all over down here. They would know, and they'd have all of the supplies you'd need to do it, or have them do it for you. They are great stores. They've handled some issues on one of my suede leather jackets, and some other leather issues I've had over the years.
Thank you...that is a good idea. There is a store, in Harrisburg, PA about an hour drive, not unreasonable for a Saturday drive, pup in the back seat , windows down and a the pipe lit! Appreciate the tip! BTW, lived in Huntsville a few years growing up... loved it there! Roll Tide.

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

?

dturrell

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
An automobile detailer who regularly cleans leather upholstery in cars might have a suggestion. It sounds like a tricky assignment, depending on how the leather was tanned and what the paint or stain is. It might end up looking a little irregular anyway, so leaving it as-is might be an option.
Thank you for the tip! Actually, I've thought of just leaving it alone and maybe it will wear off, not likely, but it's doing no harm w/ the function of the pipe, just a tad unsightly. I do pick at it a bit, thinking the warmth of the bowl might soften it a bit; the thickest paint is the underside in the stiches area, which I don't want to prematurally start to deteriorate. Maybe best to just leave it alone. But thank you for suggesting the auto detailers!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Olive oil on a qtip to soften it, scrape the paint away with a fingernail, remove excess oil from the leather by allowing the affected area to sit in baking soda.

dturrell

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
Olive oil on a qtip to soften it, scrape the paint away with a fingernail, remove excess oil from the leather by allowing the affected area to sit in baking soda.
Hmmmmm... my first thought ...will the olive oil stain the leather? It's a British tan color, and aside from the discoloration potential, I'm very concerned about the stitching under the thick paint. Once the stitching goes, it's a goner (the pipe is not, but the handsome leather is)... I should post a photo, as was mentioned above - picture saves a 100 words. Thanks for the suggestion.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh, man. That's nasty.

You might want to ask the fellows here: Leatherworker.net - https://leatherworker.net/forum/

See what they suggest.

In the meanwhile, and if you're going to a Tandy store, get one of these: Heavy Duty Adhesive Eraser - https://tandyleather.ca/collections/supplies/products/heavy-duty-adhesive-eraser

which is just crepe rubber; then, gently try rubbing off the paint. Start in a less seen part of the pipe, such as the bottom edge. If you're feeling adventurous, dip a Q-tip in isopropanol and test on the paint on same part: see if it dissolves. Work carefully. If you're successful in the bottom edge, you might be willing to try it on the bowl.

Hold off on the Deglazer for now, pending the suggestions you get from the leatherworkers. The deglazer will remove the finish from the leather and you'll have a stain if you don't apply it to the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.