PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallsguy

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
Some of my older pipes are starting to lose the finish on them. I'd like to just strip off the remaining finish, leaving the natural wood, and then polish them with wax. My question is what type of stripper should I use? I don't want to use just anything that might be too harsh on the pipe.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Lose the finish, or the wax? If it is the wax that is an easy fix, if the stain is wearing out those are some old pipes!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Are they lacquered? Smooth or rustic? For worn out flaking,chipping lacquer I use 0000 steel wool to remove it.Removing lacquer will sometimes change the color as the lacquer is quite often tinted. I wouldn't use any type of stripper on your pipes. Wetting the steel wool with alcohol sometimes speeds the process although will result in some stain removal.

throwryuken

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
im also interested in this. i want to sand the finish off of a pipe but still want the stem to fit correctly

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
What about getting the burn out around the lip of the bowl or on the bottom. I dont want to take away the wood thats there just the black thats blead through the wood?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What about getting the burn out around the lip of the bowl or on the bottom. I dont want to take away the wood thats there just the black thats blead through the wood?

If the briar has blackened from the heat it may not come out completely. If it's just crud on the rim,spit and a rag will take it off. But if the wood has blackened from heat,gotten almost hot enough to char,then it's there to stay most likely. You might sand some of it out. Even the dark spot at the bottom may not sand out completely. Some pipe develop "hot spots" in the briar,usually at a thin area that causes the wood to turn black and there is no removing it-- usually.
Oh,guys,watch that Ozark Southpaw guy--he's nuts!

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks ejames. Ive been meaning to join the Dr Grabow freeforum for some time. Lots of good info over there.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you like Grabows and or want to learn more about them the DGCF is the place to go!

We even have an annual convention! For the last three years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.