PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Due to receiving gifted money, just ordered a Savinelli Bing's Favorite which seems to be filtered. Have never actually handled a filtered pipe before and plan to remove it prior to use. Don't even know what the filter looks like. But my basic question is do you simply remove the stem and pull it out? thanks.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Yes, just take the stem off and the balsa wood filter just comes right out. You can choose to put the reducer in if you like.

Reactions: python

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savinelli pipes have triangular balsa filters that lift right out. You have the option of replacing the filter with an adaptor or just going without. That depends on how focused you want the air flow, but it's just preference. Both work fine. Most filters lift out easily. If the filters have been used for smoking, a little pipe cleaner and tissue clean-up is good.

Reactions: python
Jun 9, 2018
England
I've used a number of 9mm filter pipes without the filter and it's the same every time, you just get a nice open draw.
I've also used a reducer that came with my first pipe (a Butz Choquin) and I found it a bit of a faff that wasn't worth bothering with. YMMV of course.
I haven't tried the Savinelli's fitted for a 6mm though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can smoke it fine with or without the adapter. Wait until you see the adapter for an unfiltered pipe. Looks like pencil lead.?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I prefer unfiltered pipes, but the 6mm balsa filters in the Savinelli pipes are pretty decent. Savinelli also makes a 9mm balsa filter that's cylindrical and fluted. I know a guy who folds a pipe cleaner and uses that in place of a standard 9mm filter in his 9mm Petersons. He says it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.