PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
So, one of my pipes has gotten stubbornly clogged and wonder if there is something I haven't thought of I could try. Have tried all my usual tricks-dribbling iso alcohol into the draft hole for a few minutes and then poking at the draft hole with a straightened paperclip, then pipe cleaner, and back to the paperclip. Also going at it through the stem side. Nothing. Then followed it up with the same maneuvers with very hot water. That usually works for me, but nothing worked. The clog is in the bowl and not the stem. In the past, have even tried a drill bit which hasn't worked well. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The bristle brushes dipped in Everclear seem to work for me with some patience. A drill bit should work but you need to be gentle. I think if this is an ongoing problem, you probably should review your post smoke cleaning technique.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
A while back one of the pipes in a small lot I got from eBay turned out to have the stinger shoved as far down the shank as it could go. I still haven't gotten the thing out of there, which is a shame, because this pipe is a very pretty piece of briar.

Yeh, I find that the draft, right at where it meets the chamber on some pipes, will cake over rather fast if you aren't adamant about keeping it clear after each smoke. I have a pipe reaming kit that comes with a little tool with a drill bit on the end that I use to widen some of the drafts that cake over on my pipes. I would start with a smaller diameter drill bit than the size of the draft and then once you have it open, just use some bristled pipe cleaners with water or an alcohol of choice. You don't want to over drill it at that juncture of draft to chamber. Most pipemakers make the hole at the chamber smaller diameter than the draft as a whole. I think that this is a part of the "engineering," and may alter the way it smokes if you widen it too much.

I hope this helps.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Yeh, I find that the draft, right at where it meets the chamber on some pipes, will cake over rather fast if you aren't adamant about keeping it clear after each smoke. I have a pipe reaming kit that comes with a little tool with a drill bit on the end that I use to widen some of the drafts that cake over on my pipes. I would start with a smaller diameter drill bit than the size of the draft and then once you have it open, just use some bristled pipe cleaners with water or an alcohol of choice. You don't want to over drill it at that juncture of draft to chamber. Most pipemakers make the hole at the chamber smaller diameter than the draft as a whole. I think that this is a part of the "engineering," and may alter the way it smokes if you widen it too much.

I hope this helps.
I always use pipe cleaners after every smoke. I'll give this idea a try. Many thanks.

I always use pipe cleaners after every smoke.
Yeh, I totally believe you. I think that one some pipes, or maybe it is the type of tobacco, that a layer of cake forms fast at each smoke that constricts where the hole meets the chamber. Eventually, I notice that it gradually gets harder and harder to get a pipecleaner to pass through it, with each smoke. Then, it just clogs. That's when I'll bust out that little bit of cake forming over the draft. It happens to me, and I hit mine with water and pipe cleaners after each smoke, every single time.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
sometimes I'll get a caked piece of tobacco down there you have to dig out.

they can be hard to see when they get covered in tar or ash.

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
The Czech Pipe Tool has a rod specifically for this.

001-545-0006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.