PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I spent the afternoon today polishing pipes & stems that I had removed the oxidation from. For various reasons I did leave some flaws in both pipes & stems on occasion. I really wish I would have taken a few more "BEFORE" pictures and had better lighting. IMHO the pictures don't tell the whole story. ALL the stems that were cleaned were soaked in Oxiclean so they had to be polished.
Old cob that needed oxidation removed from the stem.

IMAG0420_zpsbf861119.jpg

A John Sterling that I only polished the briar because it was quite dull.

IMAG0419_zpsce167beb.jpg

I'm not even sure why I bothered with this one. I HATE this Lorenzo yet I can't get myself to part with it. I polished the briar and the stem. I had to replace the logo on the stem as well with white nail polish.

IMAG0417_zps5b1d1bd9.jpg

Two pocket folders I think are from the 60's, correct me if you have better info on them. BOTH of them were dull & both had oxidized stems. The Rolex shines better than the LHS In my opinion.

IMAG0418_zps1f00c782.jpg

IMAG0416_zps0f1c414b.jpg

IMAG0414_zpsf5e95ee4.jpg

These next three are why I did the work on the others. I figured if I was going to put in a little time on these, the others may as well tag along for the ride. :puffy: I dropped the ball not getting more pictures along the way. There isn't a lot difference at first glance from the before & after shots. BUT there is a lot in between.
BEFORE:

IMAG0396_zpsc65b2d0d.jpg

DURING: Sanded to 12000 grit so they started to shine again

IMAG0403_zps0dccf34e.jpg

AFTER:

IMAG0409_zps6d5a0e41.jpg

The pipe on the left is a little pocket Yello-Bole. I had a shellac finish that was cracking & lifting. AND someone had sanded it at least once before and applied the shellac poorly & even got it on the stem. The sanding was horrid with sand marks across the stem & all over the pipe. Most of the logo on the pipe had been sanded off. Oxiclean for the stem, & ever clear to remove the shellac stripping to bare briar. Finished by replacing the yellow in the logo on the stem & polishing and using tripoli, white diamond, carnauba. I didn't take all the scratches out of the stem because I was removing too much material already. The bowl coating was chipped up when I got it, I can only imagine that it happened when the last person was trying to pretty up the pipe.

yello-bole_zps4260d415.jpg
horrible finish coming off

IMAG0410_zps77f21513.jpg

The pipe on the right is a Sir Alfred (still no information on this origins if you can help) I soaked the stem even though at first this pipe didn't "LOOK" like it needed much help. There were only a few small spots of oxidation and I almost left it. BUT I'm glad I didn't. When placed in Oxiclean, it became evident real fast that this pipe had issues. Someone had sprayed a clear over the pipe & stem to make it shine like new. The clear coat completely lifted off and when I looked at it closer, there were some bad sanding marks. I used alcohol to strip the clear off the pipe & gave it a light sanding.

IMAG0412_zps6211f28a.jpg

The Peterson in the middle had a few issues. It had some obvious oxidation on the stem that needed to be GONE, and it shows signs of being real hot a time or two. What shocked me was when I smoked it the first time, I found out it had a crappy finish too. A spray clear coat is the best I can guess. The pipe only got warm on me. It took me almost an hour to finish the bowl I smoked it so slow. When I went to clean it, I noticed that the finish was actually blistering off! This pipe too had had some sub-par work done to it too. Some Everclear took generic finish right off and stripped down to bare briar no problem. The Oxiclean took care of the stem, & I fill the "P" the best I could (it had been partially sanded away by the prior owner) Then came a light sanding of the briar same as the others up to 12000 grit. Then off to the polisher & tripoli, white diamond, carnauba.

IMAG0398_zps7234e774.jpg
blistering finish & hot spot

IMAG0411_zps3f348a28.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting all those great pix! You did a fantastic job, especially on the Yello-Bole. :clap:

I think the white nail polish is a great idea for restoring the stem logos. Thanks for sharing.

I have used Whiteout which proved to be just a temporary fix.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Nice job. All three my Lorenzos have (or had) red logos on stem, though.
OOOOFF It had been so long since I bought it, I forgot. The paint wore off/out many many years back. Thanks for the smack in the back of the head, I'll be "fixing" the logo this weekend, again. :rofl:

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Now the Lorenzo is closer to what it used to look like. My daughter didn't have a brighter red so this is what I used. :lol:
redL_zps5624bbda.jpg

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I don't like it because it just never has smoked right. I have tried everything from no resistance to so tightly packed it was hard to draw, from out of the tin to dried so long the tobacco is crunchy. No matter what I have tried, it gurgles. The drill job was not perfect, so I have to guess that is what causes my frustrations with the pipe. I have kept the thing for 15 years because I love the looks.
The mortise is 1 3/8" deep the tenon is 1/2" deep and the draught hole isn't exactly centered.

Status
Not open for further replies.