PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2020
I have a meerschaum-lined Algerian briar Mastercraft stummel. The meerschaum seems intact, but since this an attractive chunk of briar I was wondering if it makes any sense to remove the lining and re-finish the bowl as an all-briar pipe. Does this make any sense? Is a meerschaum lining considered a big improvement over plain, quality briar? Thanks!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I was going to remove a broken meer lining from a gbd prehistoric, but on the advice of forum members I gave repairing it a go, and I am so glad I did.

Do you enjoy smoking it with the meer lining still intact? Do you have any other meer pipes in your collection?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't had this experience, but my sense would be that pipes designed for a meer lining would not do as well without the lining. Chamber walls would not be quite as thick as they would be in an all-briar pipe, and might not be shaped in an optimal way. It might smoke okay, but it certainly wouldn't improve it. I'd keep it meer lined and enjoy the meer dimension, which is a special clarity on flavors.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I haven't had this experience, but my sense would be that pipes designed for a meer lining would not do as well without the lining. Chamber walls would not be quite as thick as they would be in an all-briar pipe, and might not be shaped in an optimal way. It might smoke okay, but it certainly wouldn't improve it. I'd keep it meer lined and enjoy the meer dimension, which is a special clarity on flavors.
Agreed. Not to mention, there may be serious flaws in the briar walls that are covered by the meerschaum, and would be structurally unsuitable for a chamber. I’d leave well enough alone, personally, but it’s your pipe.

Apr 26, 2020
I was going to remove a broken meer lining from a gbd prehistoric, but on the advice of forum members I gave repairing it a go, and I am so glad I did.

Do you enjoy smoking it with the meer lining still intact? Do you have any other meer pipes in your collection?
Thanks for the reply. I haven't smoked it yet. (It's an estate pipe.) I think I'll take your suggestion and try it as is after restoration.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.