9 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Relights occur at the intersection of packing and technique. With good enough packing a pro can sustain an ember from the top to the bottom of the bowl, without a relight. Should that perfection be your goal? If you want, but perfection is granted few mortals. I think a better goal is a reasonable amount of relights such that they are not irritating. So if you have more relights than the next guy and they don't bother you but his bother him, you're the winner.
There are smoking professionals? I had no idea...LOL!!

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a nice theory that doesn't jibe with my experience. I'd say it's more a matter of the burning characteristics of a particular blend. Some blends burn readily and will easily burn off of one light while others are notoriously fire resistant.
I don't use packing "methods" myself, I just load up a pipe and I'm good to go. There weren't "methods" when I started, yet somehow people had enjoyed pipes for centuries without methods. But I respect that methods can be helpful to others.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think less experienced smokers and those who utilize a technique would be surprised at how most experienced smokers pack their pipe. If the tobacco is dry enough, packing is an unconscious no brainer. Butane cost next to nothing, I don't get the stigma on relights. It's as if some people work for the tobacco and pipe while others let the tobacco and pipe serve them. If smoking a pipe was a PITA, I'd only smoke cigars.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
There are two things I’ve noticed while smoking different tobaccos of different dryness (aros, English, Virginia) out of different pipes (briar, meerschaum). First: relights in most cases coincide with the number of layers you put while packing. Three step method - two relights. Frank’s - one or none, airpocket - one or none (mostly none). Second: your pipe might also get too hot if you don’t puff enough, let it rest too much, not only from fast smoking. So, a certain balance is necessary. Have you noticed those things? Or are those conclusions based on experience of me doing something wrong?
You're not. Don't worry about it. Three step, two step, Frank's, Joe's, Theodore's and William Tell's methods - none are right or wrong. The only wrong thing if your pipe gets too hot. I worried about it too when I started, and like most pipe smokers my first experiences were negative. Now I just fill a pipe and smoke. Some bowls need 3-4 relights, some need 10-30-100 if you take a puff once every 5 minutes - I've nursed a pipe all day once, it's no competition although some people may claim they smoke 1kg of tobacco in one light.

Just finished a delicious bowl of Full Virginia Plug, needed many relights but I was walking and talking on the phone the whole time too. It's Perique-laden cousin StJames Flake gave me such trouble to smoke I made a post about it, now I smoke that too without much trouble at all.

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
I've recently had my great aha moment after 13 years of mediocre smokes (I thought they were quite good at the time), and I can see on most youtube "pros" that they haven't yet had theirs. I can now smoke any tobacco right out of the tin, although it might taste better to let it dry a little.

This is my advice that could save you your 13 years.

1. Use the breathing method by default, puffing sparingly.

2. Pack hard enough. 90% of the advice on the Internet emphasize packing rather lightly. That leads to a need to puff hard to keep the pipe going. Stress and heat. Instead, the packing must be firm. Don't let the tobacco jump right back at you after you press it, but rather creep up very slowly. You're the boss. Just check that the resistance doesn't become choking.

This will hopefully let you smoke any semi wet tobacco all through the bowl without a need to relight. However, ridding some ash and relighting mid bowl can enhance the taste.

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2021
England
I've recently had my great aha moment after 13 years of mediocre smokes (I thought they were quite good at the time), and I can see on most youtube "pros" that they haven't yet had theirs. I can now smoke any tobacco right out of the tin, although it might taste better to let it dry a little.

This is my advice that could save you your 13 years.

1. Use the breathing method by default, puffing sparingly.

2. Pack hard enough. 90% of the advice on the Internet emphasize packing rather lightly. That leads to a need to puff hard to keep the pipe going. Stress and heat. Instead, the packing must be firm. Don't let the tobacco jump right back at you after you press it, but rather creep up very slowly. You're the boss. Just check that the resistance doesn't become choking.

This will hopefully let you smoke any semi wet tobacco all through the bowl without a need to relight. However, ridding some ash and relighting mid bowl can enhance the taste.

Cheers!
That's exactly what I've been doing for years.
Works a treat, and much more flavour from moist tobacco than dry I reckon.
I just got round to it by trial and error all by myself.
Everyone else is going to tell us we're wrong.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

wallyb

Lurker
Sep 13, 2021
alot dependson how tight or loose you pack the bowl ,amount of moisture in tobacco and how often you draw on it. light when you need to....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Indeed. The Cobbit Wizard and the General are my largest pipes. I have a large Canadian style briar too. But I find these pipes harder to clench so I gravitate toward smaller bowls. (also I sometimes sneak out at work for a smoke break, I mean take out the trash, and it is far easier to go missing for 15 minutes than an hour...shush don't tell my boss ;)) Last Sunday I was smoking my General and only had to relight it twice. The second time because I sat it down to make a pot of coffee and it went out.
Making coffee in the midst of a smoke shows your growing pipe proficiency. Damn! you're good!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's exactly what I've been doing for years.
Works a treat, and much more flavour from moist tobacco than dry I reckon.
I just got round to it by trial and error all by myself.
Everyone else is going to tell us we're wrong.
Moist better than air dry? Heresy! And you haven't lived until you graduate from air dry to the microwave. Then at the end don't you dare use pipe cleaners and a paper towel to clean up. It's the water flush that you need. There's no other way!

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You're not. Don't worry about it. Three step, two step, Frank's, Joe's, Theodore's and William Tell's methods - none are right or wrong. The only wrong thing if your pipe gets too hot. I worried about it too when I started, and like most pipe smokers my first experiences were negative. Now I just fill a pipe and smoke. Some bowls need 3-4 relights, some need 10-30-100 if you take a puff once every 5 minutes - I've nursed a pipe all day once, it's no competition although some people may claim they smoke 1kg of tobacco in one light.

Just finished a delicious bowl of Full Virginia Plug, needed many relights but I was walking and talking on the phone the whole time too. It's Perique-laden cousin StJames Flake gave me such trouble to smoke I made a post about it, now I smoke that too without much trouble at all.
How does FVP compare to FVF?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
With the exception of flake, rope and plugs if your tobacco is dry enough, no "technique" is needed at all.
I’ve dried out tabac many times fairly crispy, and I can never get it to stay lit for long, unless I blow back in to keep it going.

I just personally sprinkle a pinch at a time until the chamber is full, then very gently give it a slight press down when it’s full.