PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Hairvise wrote: "Folks, I bought a pack of 6 of those zippo rubber gaskets just to try it. I'm never going to use more than 2. If anyone is interested in trying one, send me a message and I'll throw one in the mail for you."

Very nice. But I can't believe they can achieve 1/10 as much leakage prevention as sealing the lid. (Which would also cut way down on leakage from the bottom of the insert.
No doubt you are right, but at a buck a piece more or less, why not?

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I'd like to throw my hat in and (somewhat) vouch for the vector thunderbird. it's cheap enough --20 bucks for my model--, has a flintless spark, and can be fit into any zippo case... after a bit of chiseling down. downside is a small tank that makes me have to use matches on the refueling down time. worst thing about it is having to press it a few times to get it to light sometimes, and the adjustable flame is a tad iffy. consistently iffy, but still so.

Strauss

Lurker
Feb 19, 2021
Philadelphia
I see a lot of you guys swear by the Zippo lighter. I was under the impression that the fluid from the lighter taints the tobacco, either pipe or cigar. Is this right, or are y'all using a different type of Zippo?

Just let the lighter burn off for a few seconds before lighting the pipe. You'll taste it while lighting but it goes away quickly.

I use my Zippo more than anything just because nothing is more reliable. I really like lighters with tampers when I'm away from home, though. I've had a couple Xikar Pipelines and found them very unreliable. A buddy has an IM Corona Old Boy and it's been reliable for quite a while. So, if you like the style, pay for quality. I get the best light with matches, though. Sometimes I'll carry one of those pocket-sized boxes of wood matches.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I do notice the smell of the Zippo fuel occasionally if I strike the lighter indoors. However I only smoke outdoors, and I have never noticed any sort of smell or taste from the Zippo outside.
But if you ask my wife, she will tell you that I often don’t notice things. ?

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Just let the lighter burn off for a few seconds before lighting the pipe. You'll taste it while lighting but it goes away quickly.

I use my Zippo more than anything just because nothing is more reliable. I really like lighters with tampers when I'm away from home, though. I've had a couple Xikar Pipelines and found them very unreliable. A buddy has an IM Corona Old Boy and it's been reliable for quite a while. So, if you like the style, pay for quality. I get the best light with matches, though. Sometimes I'll carry one of those pocket-sized boxes of wood matches.
Got it.
Cheers!

Reactions: ofafeather

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I only use my zippo when I'm outdoors and it's a bit too breezy for my Kiribi. I open the lighter and wave it around for a second or two to dispel the odor and then light. After 2 seconds, I bring the lighter to my pipe and it works like a charm, with no discernible odor or taste.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Hairvise wrote: "Folks, I bought a pack of 6 of those zippo rubber gaskets just to try it. I'm never going to use more than 2. If anyone is interested in trying one, send me a message and I'll throw one in the mail for you."

Very nice. But I can't believe they can achieve 1/10 as much leakage prevention as sealing the lid. (Which would also cut way down on leakage from the bottom of the insert.
I can now say with certainty— using the rubber gasket on the zippo helps me keep the zippo fueled up for a week, whereas without, the fuel only lasts seven days.

Happy to share the rubber gaskets with others!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
So, I received my im Corona Old Boy the other day, took ages to arrive but that's another story.
Anyways, first impressions are great. The quality, as some have already mentioned here is pretty darn good!
This is my second pipe lighter, I had previously bought a Rattrays, which although very adequate, the feel in hand isn't like the Old Boy. But at a third of the price of the Old Boy, I can't complain.
I'd certainly recommend either one for pipes.
But, nothing compares to my Dunhill Rolagas lighters, an engineering marvel! Only wish I could get an angled gas valve for them. So without the angled gas valve, I wouldn't recommend these for pipes.

Reactions: JOHN72