PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
a couple of weeks ago i picked up three old Dr Grabows at a local to redo. the Silver Duke is from this thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/old-dr-grabow-get-a-second-chance

the larger Dublin is a Starfire, and the straight apple like guy is a Royal Duke sitter.

dscn2779l.jpg

dscn2791d.jpg

dscn2792l.jpg

dscn2782v.jpg

dscn2783.jpg

dscn2786j.jpg

dscn2787v.jpg

dscn2788a.jpg

dscn2784.jpg

dscn2785s.jpg

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks guys. glad that you guys dig this stuff.

right now i have just under 20 pipes i have done some sort of partial rust on. i'm working on a couple of a members pipes right now, and soon there will be a box of various pipes to play with from lonestar. as i work my way through those i will probably be selling and trading some of the ones i have done.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
ace it really depends on the pipe and my mood. i try to do it when it feels right and i usually get the base texture in pretty quickly. i have been doing deeper rustification on them and the whole carving probably averages about two hours. most of the time is in the finishing. for me it's black stain, sand (1000 or 1200 depending on how much help the the grain needs. then it's stain sand (1200)... this may be two or three coats, again depending on the wood. then i wax, buff, and polish.

it's hard to pinpoint time as it's spread out while i am not at the shop.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thank you sir.

it is alot of work but it's very fulfilling, and it makes me very connected to these pipes. it's funny now i have a hard time even comprehending the idea of buying a new pipe. i think i scared my girlfriend that i was in two b&ms with her this weekend and didn't get a pipe, just a bunch of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.