PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I have an open tin of HH Latakia Flake that I’ve let sit for too long... I opened it a few weeks ago and then kind of forgot about it. The flakes are now brittle to the touch and the flavors have become muted and rough.

If I throw a fresh tin in a mason jar along with these, will the dried flakes suck up some of the moisture from the fresh ones? I know I used to do that with cigars, if you throw some overly dried sticks in a well kept humidor they will siphon off some of the moisture from the other sticks and come back to life somewhat. Didn’t know if Flake tobacco would behave the same or not. Figured I’d ask before opening another tin and mixing them together.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Yes, they will. I have done it many times. Water finds its own level and the flake moisture will level out amongst themselves. Just remember that all the new flakes will be a little drier than they were to begin with mathematically but to be honest, I have never noticed that at all.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm going to be the contrarian here and say that it could work, depending on how dry your dried out flakes are. If they are dry enough to have lost their oils, then the tobacco is too dry for successful rehydration. Sure, you can still smoke it, but it just won't be as good as it would be otherwise. Personally, I would try a different method of rehydration so as to avoid mixing potentially overdried tobacco w/ fresh properly-stored flakes.

Reactions: mtwaller

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just by chance, I've mixed more moist blends with dryer blends in a bowl and then packed them in a pipe, and without letting the moisture pass from one blend to the other, it achieves some of the same effect by burning them together. This is sub-optimal, yes, but in a pinch, it is okay.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I'm going to be the contrarian here and say that it could work, depending on how dry your dried out flakes are. If they are dry enough to have lost their oils, then the tobacco is too dry for successful rehydration. Sure, you can still smoke it, but it just won't be as good as it would be otherwise. Personally, I would try a different method of rehydration so as to avoid mixing potentially overdried tobacco w/ fresh properly-stored flakes.
That was my initial concern, as well. I know with cigars, once they’ve lost the oils and they’re too far gone, they will rehydrate eventually but still taste like ass. I’ve placed the dry flakes and a brand new tin in a jar and sealed it tight, I think I’ll wait a week and then see what’s cooking. Will be an interesting experiment, at any rate. I alternated dry/fresh every other flake into the jar. Will be interested to see whether or not I can tell any difference once they’ve had time to settle in.

Reactions: lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That was my initial concern, as well. I know with cigars, once they’ve lost the oils and they’re too far gone, they will rehydrate eventually but still taste like ass. I’ve placed the dry flakes and a brand new tin in a jar and sealed it tight, I think I’ll wait a week and then see what’s cooking. Will be an interesting experiment, at any rate. I alternated dry/fresh every other flake into the jar. Will be interested to see whether or not I can tell any difference once they’ve had time to settle in.

With any luck, the result will just be an evening of the moisture content. If you’ve got some experience with the pain in the ass that is cigar humidor maintenance, then I’m sure you’ve already got a good idea of how dry is “too dry.” Good luck! ?

Reactions: BROBS

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK

While I agree that there is a point that tobacco can pass where rehydration is not ideal or even worth it but what difference does it make with regards to this? If he places the old with the new then the new will still be perfectly smokable and the old will still go in the bin. He loses nothing by trying it. Unless he shuffles the flakes like cards and has no clue which is which at the end of the week but no one is that daft, surely?

To the OP. This equalisation of moisture between flakes happens quicker than you think ;)

Reactions: BROBS

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
While I agree that there is a point that tobacco can pass where rehydration is not ideal or even worth it but what difference does it make with regards to this? If he places the old with the new then the new will still be perfectly smokable and the old will still go in the bin. He loses nothing by trying it. Unless he shuffles the flakes like cards and has no clue which is which at the end of the week but no one is that daft, surely?

To the OP. This equalisation of moisture between flakes happens quicker than you think ;)
I actually am that daft! I shuffled them just to see if I can pick out the dry ones after some time has passed, without my preconceived notions spoiling my judgement.

Reactions: lawdawg

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I actually am that daft! I shuffled them just to see if I can pick out the dry ones after some time has passed, without my preconceived notions spoiling my judgement.

:ROFLMAO:

Well, fair enough but I don't think you are daft in this instance. You did it deliberately to create an educational game for yourself. You clearly thought about it ;)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's another idea. If the dry flakes don't break apart on handling. Load a half a bowl full, then top with the moister ones. As you smoke the top half, the bottom will get moisturized from the steam of the top half. I often load some decent dryish tobacco first, and then top it with something very good.

If the dry tobacco is too crumbly, I'd rehydrate it separately.

Good luck!

Reactions: mtwaller
Status
Not open for further replies.