PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Moon cakes for the Moon Festival
A regional - Chinese Asian Festival. So China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia.
Pretty much anywhere there is a sizeable ethnic Chinese migrant population

This is my favourite variety - white lotus paste (sweet) with double salted egg yolks.
Yummmmm........
Best with a nice pot of Chinese tea

image.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Tossed salad is as much of a luxury (or vice) as pipe tobacco. The best tossed salad is 100% shredded amd cold iceberg lettuce with zero calories and zero nutrients. It’s a healthy junk food.:)

Having heaped shredded, cold lettuce on a separate salad plate, the Ozark American can then build his salad.

I like a big scoop of cottage cheese on one side and a huge scoop of red sweet sugar beets on the other.

Then shredded yellow cheese, bacon bits, little tomatoes, and finally the most important ingredient to good salad gets ladled over the lettuce, not on the beets and cottage cheese.

Ott’s Original Famous Dressing – Ott Food Products - https://ottfoods.com/shop/otts-original-famous-dressing/

If they don’t have Ott’s I might substitute French.

But if they don’t have French I want cottage cheese and red sugar beets.

Ott’s means salad dressing around God’s Own Ozarks.:)

—-

“If I thought I was sitting down for my final meal, I would without a doubt have Ott’s Famous Dressing on my cold crisp salad.”

– Robert M. Travis

Reactions: monty55

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
View attachment 112022
Mrs. Fisher's Chips have been making potato chips in Rockford, Illinois since 1932.

From their website - Our 3 Route Drivers deliver our chips to customers in a 25 mile radius of Rockford. We also have four distributors that take our chips into Wisconsin, the Chicago land area and as far south as Joliet, Illinois.

You can even buy them in a 5 pound bucket.
View attachment 112024

It's my favorite chip.

Don’t forget about Mrs. Mike’s chips from Freeport, IL. It’s the oil, it’s the oil!

Reactions: Briar Lee

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm a big Aldi fan and have found that those that complain about Aldi are the same people that don't return their shopping carts to the cart corral at other establishments.

Still trying to figure out this new obsession with returning the shopping carts. Sure, at Aldi you get your quarter back, but at other places, no one has stopped to consider that the people who collect the carts might actually *enjoy* the chance to walk around outside and slowly collect the carts from the far reaches of the parking lot.

Many moons ago, when I was a stock boy at a drug store one summer, I loved the chance to retrieve carts from across the parking lot. It kept me away from my boss, who was a real see you next Tuesday. Sometimes my girlfriend would plan to visit me and at the designated time, I'd go outside and get to chat her up for a few minutes. I once asked a cart boy at Kroger whether he wished people were better at returning the carts and he said "No. I'd rather be outside."

If returning carts is what defines civility, call me Mowgli. I leave them out in nice weather for those that appreciate it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Still trying to figure out this new obsession with returning the shopping carts. Sure, at Aldi you get your quarter back, but at other places, no one has stopped to consider that the people who collect the carts might actually *enjoy* the chance to walk around outside and slowly collect the carts from the far reaches of the parking lot.

Many moons ago, when I was a stock boy at a drug store one summer, I loved the chance to retrieve carts from across the parking lot. It kept me away from my boss, who was a real see you next Tuesday. Sometimes my girlfriend would plan to visit me and at the designated time, I'd go outside and get to chat her up for a few minutes. I once asked a cart boy at Kroger whether he wished people were better at returning the carts and he said "No. I'd rather be outside."

If returning carts is what defines civility, call me Mowgli. I leave them out in nice weather for those that appreciate it.
Provided the cart is secured in the corral, I take no issue.

Leaving a cart outside of the corral creates various issues, such as damaged vehicles and reduced parking.

I will add that Aldi is able to keep prices down by not paying a cart attendant. Just an added benefit.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay

Decreased overhead cost. It cuts into profit having to pay someone to go collect the carts. It's all about profit margin. That and I'm sure they don't like employees talking to their gf's on company time.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Decreased overhead cost. It cuts into profit having to pay someone to go collect the carts. It's all about profit margin. That and I'm sure they don't like employees talking to their gf's on company time.
Ha ha, it is not my job to help the grocers make more money, nor do I care that their employees talk to their GFs. I just push my buggy away from my car and leave, while waving at the happy buggy boys. They never seem upset. puffy

Reactions: pantsBoots

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Ha ha, it is not my job to help the grocers make more money, nor do I care that their employees talk to their GFs. I just push my buggy away from my car and leave, while waving at the happy buggy boys. They never seem upset. puffy
I understand that, I'm just explaining the companies point of view as to why Aldi does what they do. It also keeps buggy theives from walking of with them.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.