PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I could be wrong but I suspect FVF and SJF are cased with something unusual which may be causing the bite. I haven't tried other SG blends yet. I say this because for me they don't dry out or behave like other blends do. If their tobacco is of such high quality then why is it drenched in who knows what.

Reactions: fightnhampster

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The two blends that have bitten me the worst are 3 Castles, a Virginia, and Virginia No. 1. I used to smoke 3 Castles in RYO cigarettes and thought they were delicious. I smoked it once in a pipe and to my great surprise it bit like crazy, when it didn't bite at all smoked in a cig. This was more than a decade ago and I haven't smoke any since, though I still have some dried up somewhere.

I smoked Virginia No. 1 for the first time around 2010. It bit like a viper so I threw my baggie in one of my bins and forgot about it. When I rediscovered it last year, it was still moist(!) and I smoked some. This time, there was the merest of tingles and no bite. It didn't taste bad at all. I don't know if I've developed a tolerance or the tobacco had changed over time.

I should note that I had been smoking the pipe for quite a few years when I first tried the two aforementioned blends.

So, I'd suggest if a blend bites now, put it aside and come back to it later. The bite may go away for whatever reason.

Reactions: ofafeather