PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
Hey,

Recently my eye's attention got caught by a very nicely shaped oom paul by Ashton, no less in their high grade "Sovereign".
I was wondering why is the price tag on this piece is so high, i mean, to be honest, the grain wasnt that spectacular (comparing it to castellos for instance).

Do Ashton use some super high grade briar/stem material/engineering taught by ancient alien scripts?

Thanks ahead!

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
They're handmade English pipes with a pedigree. That's worth a good chunk of change to many people. I don't own any, and while most of their prices are out of my budget, I don't see them as being out of line with their peers. Also, it seems Ashtons are very much priced by size. If the pipe has silver, that's extra as well.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Methinks Aston is pulling a Dunhill and trying to ratchet up their pricing so they can charge just about anything. I like Ashton pipes, and while they are still in the attainable range, I've visited the online retail pages often. Then I let my gaze rove over my racks and cabinet of pipes and I put away my credit card. But they are nice pipes. Other factory brands do some fine Oom-Paul shapes for affordable prices, so I'd look at those first.

Oct 7, 2016
Methinks Aston is pulling a Dunhill and trying to ratchet up their pricing so they can charge just about anything. I like Ashton pipes, and while they are still in the attainable range, I've visited the online retail pages often. Then I let my gaze rove over my racks and cabinet of pipes and I put away my credit card. But they are nice pipes. Other factory brands do some fine Oom-Paul shapes for affordable prices, so I'd look at those first.
There is a Sovreign Oom Paul on Smoking Pipes right now with silver that they will sell me for $406.13. A Dunhill Root Briar with silver would easily be over twice that. No way is Jimmy Craig pulling a Dunhill.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
"Pulling a Dunhill" is certainly an exaggeration, but they are well constructed pipes, as someone has already said, with a pedigree and history, which in the britwood world = more expensive. Their smooth pipes come around far less often than blasted and rusticated offerings, and seem to always be slightly higher in price for whatever reason. I agree that the grain on their smooth pipes rarely seems to be anything special (many would say the same about dunhill over the years).

I do own one Craig era Ashton Dublin and it is a fine smoker. Worth the price? That's really up to the individual.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were making Ashton pipes, I'd have to consider ratcheting up the price, both to enhance my income and as insurance against heavy weather in the pipe smoking market. Dunhill did that brilliantly; make hay while the sun shines. It's business, and stake holders and your family expect the best possible results. This happens at all levels of pipe making done as a business. Not a criticism.

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
OK fellas, thank you very much for your answers. It seems the price on those pieces is much determined by the pedigree and overall aura around it as so of the material's quality and engineering..

Status
Not open for further replies.