PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I have a couple estates with metal bands. The one I’m working on now is flaked with a lot of scratches on the band. I have been using Never-dull to clean it up, and then polishing it with Tripoli at the same time as the bowl. The metal oxides have been fouling the wheel, so I believe I should get an old wheel to use on the bands alone.
I have two questions for those with more experience, what are the bands normally made from? And also, after polishing, is Carnauba enough of a sealant for the band or would you suggest something else?

Thanks

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a couple estates with metal bands. The one I’m working on now is flaked with a lot of scratches on the band. I have been using Never-dull to clean it up, and then polishing it with Tripoli at the same time as the bowl. The metal oxides have been fouling the wheel, so I believe I should get an old wheel to use on the bands alone.
I have two questions for those with more experience, what are the bands normally made from? And also, after polishing, is Carnauba enough of a sealant for the band or would you suggest something else?

Thanks
Could be base metal... could be plated with nickel or sterling. Could be any combination of things. I avoid polishing any metal on the same wheel as wood or vulcanite. It will ruin the wheel.
I polish the bands with a polishing cloth and seal with wax. ? The wheel will be too aggressive in most cases for the metal band.

Status
Not open for further replies.