PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Personally, really neither. It’s more uncomfortable I guess. Its nice that people recognize that service is sometimes very hard on members and their family’s. I for one didn’t sign up or do anything I have done to seek recognition, if that makes any sense?

Yes, very much so and I guess it depends on the circumstances, like most things in life. I was talking to this guy on the street a few months ago who I think was homeless. He opened up about his time in the navy serving in Iraq, and I thanked him. He was very appreciative to the comment to the point it made me a bit emotional. That said, it's not something I generally do, was more of a reflective response to the his current difficulties in life which I could sense.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
I was a cold war vet, 1976-1979, so even though it doesn't bother me, I feel I didn't really do anything to deserve special thanks or recognition. It was just another job for me.

I heard a vet on NPR who lost his legs and one arm in Iraq I think. He suffered from PTSD and said something to the effect of "well I didn't lose my legs for you...I stepped on a bomb" regarding his feelings towards the habit of people approaching him. It was clear that those interactions make him feel uncomfortable. I guess it's a good example of people trying to say something they feel is nice more for their own benefit.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I heard a vet on NPR who lost his legs and one arm in Iraq I think. He suffered from PTSD and said something to the effect of "well I didn't lose my legs for you...I stepped on a bomb" regarding his feelings towards the habit of people approaching him. It was clear that those interactions make him feel uncomfortable. I guess it's a good example of people trying to say something they feel is nice more for their own benefit.
Yes sir, it very much an individual/personal thing. At least in my mind, I was raised to tell someone “thank you” if that person had done something for you. So I would never get snippy with anyone for doing what they feel is right.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
When people thank me for my service, I thank them for their support.
As far as the VA goes, I stay away as much as possible. Dealing with the VA system is nails on a chalkboard barefoot in a classroom with legos all over the floor, in a school with lead paint and asbestos tiles that is on fire, in Barstow, CA.

However, the one time that I've had to use their emergency room, it was not the worst ER experience I've ever had. To give them their due, in emergent situations, it's care first, paperwork second.

Jan 27, 2020
Yes sir, it very much an individual/personal thing. At least in my mind, I was raised to tell someone “thank you” if that person had done something for you. So I would never get snippy with anyone for doing what they feel is right.

I always feel weird when a vet calls me sir thinking that they are the sir not me. Social interactions never seem short of some confusion...

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It does get tiring listen to those who didn't serve play the "Thank You for Your Service" card. It is well intentioned but it should really be said on special occasions like Veterans' Day and maybe Memorial Day.

Reactions: ksman75 and kurtbob

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I assume the “Thank you for your service” is supposed to be some kind of make up for the scumbags who spit on the Viet Nam draftees and called them baby killers when they got off the plane after involuntarily serving their year in hell.
Personally, I think it’s over done, like the “thoughts and prayers “ that gets thrown over every catastrophe.
Maybe that’s the cynic in me, and maybe people just want to say something positive. I don’t know.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I assume the “Thank you for your service” is supposed to be some kind of make up for the scumbags who spit on the Viet Nam draftees and called them baby killers when they got off the plane after involuntarily serving their year in hell.
Personally, I think it’s over done, like the “thoughts and prayers “ that gets thrown over every catastrophe.
Maybe that’s the cynic in me, and maybe people just want to say something positive. I don’t know.
My biggest problem with those scum calling the Vietnam vets "baby killers" is most of the vets were draftees, and had no choice in the matter.

Reactions: kcghost and jpberg
Status
Not open for further replies.