PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Anyone else out there getting the Rx through the VA?

Starting in April 2020, due to covid, they stopped sending bills for meds. All of a sudden, April this year, they wanted their $$$. My bill was $283 for that period. Thanks to my stimulus payments, I was able to get it paid.

Late week before last, I got a notice that they were going to refund the entire amount. Can't argue with that. One years Rx gratis! Then last Tuesday, along comes a check for the refund. Sweet ?.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Anyone else out there getting the Rx through the VA?

Starting in April 2020, due to covid, they stopped sending bills for meds. All of a sudden, April this year, they wanted their $$$. My bill was $283 for that period. Thanks to my stimulus payments, I was able to get it paid.

Late week before last, I got a notice that they were going to refund the entire amount. Can't argue with that. One years Rx gratis! Then last Tuesday, along comes a check for the refund. Sweet ?.
if you don't mind me asking - what types of meds are you on? I'm sure the bills were ridiculous no matter how few or many

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you are eligible for social security (age 65 or 66 and above) you can apply to an insurance provider for Medicare Advantage. It is free as are the meds. As are doctors visits and a whole bunch of other things. It is really a good deal. You can sign up for it in last half of November and the first half of December. I am with United HealthCare but there are a bunch of others.

Reactions: kurtbob and ksman75

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A local hospital waives the copays on my meds. They keep telling you what the balance is nonetheless, I guess just in case you win the lottery.

The same hospital says I have a 0 balance even though by my calculation I owe them $2000.00. I think that the accounts are so screwed up due to Covid that they have no confidence in their numbers.

My insurer waived all copays until 1/1/21, but I hate all of them with a vengeance. Manipulate the premiums and the coverage to make sure of opulent profits.

I got a ticket recently and GEICO saw fit to raise my insurance from $300.00 to $550.00.

Reactions: kurtbob and ksman75
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I need to sign up for that VA thing.
A very good friend of mine put it off for years and years after he got out of the Army. He was a logistics officer, got out as an O3, and has a pretty significant and debilitating shoulder injury he got in Iraq (or Saudi, can’t remember) during the first Gulf War. His vehicle crashed into the truck in front of him in a convoy column during a sandstorm. His wife, me, and all the rest of his friends finally talked him into going. He’s now getting checks for his disability and pretty damn good healthcare. It seems like the VA is a lot better than it used to be, at least around here and compared to its prior reputation. If you’re eligible, you should probably look into it.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
A very good friend of mine put it off for years and years after he got out of the Army. He was a logistics officer, got out as an O3, and has a pretty significant and debilitating shoulder injury he got in Iraq (or Saudi, can’t remember) during the first Gulf War. His vehicle crashed into the truck in front of him in a convoy column during a sandstorm. His wife, me, and all the rest of his friends finally talked him into going. He’s now getting checks for his disability and pretty damn good healthcare. It seems like the VA is a lot better than it used to be, at least around here and compared to its prior reputation. If you’re eligible, you should probably look into it.
Up until I retired in '18, I had good insurance, so never even contemplated going to the VA, other than VA home loans and GI bill education bennies.

That all changed after retirement when I couldn't afford private insurance any more. So far they've done me right and I have no complaints.

I think a lot of younger vets are like me, and only use what they need, or are uninformed on what benefits they are actually qualified for. Then you hear the horror stories of vets getting the run around or flat denials for service related disabilities when it's obvious they need those benefits.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah the VA is MUCH better than it used to be! The only bitch I have is, every time I go in for a service connected appointment they bill my insurance. I mean, they want to whack me for annual blood work, shingles vaccination, colon cancer screen fine. Like I said, having to waste half a day on the phone trying to get billing reversed is well……..frustrating to put it mildly.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Do the veterans here find it annoying or thoughtful when someone thanks you for your service?
Personally, really neither. It’s more uncomfortable I guess. Its nice that people recognize that service is sometimes very hard on members and their family’s. I for one didn’t sign up or do anything I have done to seek recognition, if that makes any sense?

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I was a cold war vet, 1976-1979, so even though it doesn't bother me, I feel I didn't really do anything to deserve special thanks or recognition. It was just another job for me.
interestingly, most vets say what you are saying even one's who have lost limbs defending the Country; they feel it's part of the job. I can understand that. If you work in a Nuclear plant or Uranium ore refinery - danger is part of the territory - you accept the responsibilities of the actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.