PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Purchased on a lark from an estate sale for the princely sum of $4.50usd the cake was built up so much that what remained for a "chamber" was about 3/8" across.

The cake opens back up about 1/2" from the bottom of the bowl creating a cavern of sorts. There was unburnt tobacco in this cavern.
cake1.jpg

cake3.jpg

P-Lip style stem firmly stuck, olive drab in color, moderate to heavy bite marks, Sterling band badly oxidized. The briar itself is in decent condition, a few light scratches along the heel, bottom of shank.
leftB4.jpg

rightB4.jpg

Started with a Klean-Ream until about 1/2 way down into the chamber. At this point the use of my knife sped the process up considerably.

Stopped reaming just short of bare wood and put the pipe in the freezer for 45 minutes in order to get the stem removed.
3 Iso and cotton ball treatments in order to get the briar internals clean.

This is a Peterson "System" knock off with a reservoir below the draft hole. Due to the amount of gunk in the shank I wasn't aware there even was a reservoir until cleaning after the 2nd Iso treatment.

The 1st few loads of tar removed from the shank could have been used to fill a good sized pothole! Nasty!
Similar situation with the stem. A pipe cleaner passes easily now but when I started I could not even pass a fine wire through it.

Stem was soaked in an OxyClean solution for 24 hours. During this time the solution, with no agitation of any kind, went from milky white to Oatmeal Stout black.

Cursory cleaning and after a 2nd 24 hour Oxyclean soak a shank brush, bristle and regular pipe cleaners with Iso got the airway clean.
Final sanding of the chamber done with 200 grit garnet paper. Inside diameter is now approx 15/16", depth approx 1 5/8".
chamberaftr.jpg

Outside of the briar has been cleaned with straight Murpheys Wood Soap.

Started with 3600 grit Micro-Mesh for the stem, no joy. Ended up going to the 1500 and using all 9 grits.

The Sterling band required the 6, 8 and 12k Micro-Mesh in order to get the oxidation off.

One application of Paragon at this time. I'm just a point and shoot idiot, it really does look better than the in the pics.
frntaftr.jpg

leftaftr.jpg

rightaftr.jpg

I've no idea if this pipe is worth the effort involved, but there it is all the same. I do so need a buffer, doing this by hand is time intensive.

Still need to raise the chamber floor with pipe-mud, then I'll see how it smokes.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Seriously who smokes a pipe and never cleans it out on occasion.

What a fantastic restoration job, never know it was the same pipe Wow.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice work, it is amazing what abuse folks will heap on a pipe! You are right, some white rouge with a buffing wheel would really brighten up the briar.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Excellent restoration of what looked like a daunting adversary. Congratulations on your success!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
It really was fun cleaning this thing up. I will get around to smoking it sometime this week.

some white rouge with a buffing wheel would really brighten up the briar.

I do have the power drill setup Al, I will see if I can spiff the briar up better than it is at present with it.
OH...can you explain raising the floor with pipe mud? Why, and how?

Hobie, pipe mud is simply ash and water mixed to form a paste. Use it in the chamber, much like you would Bondo, to repair fledgling burnouts and modify the shape. Most folk swear by cigar ash, I use ash from my pipes. I sift it to remove any coarse bits before adding the water.

The chamber floor on this pipe is easily 3/16", possibly a full 1/4" below the airhole. Given the diameter of the chamber this makes for huge wet dottle creating pit!

Pipemud formed into a ball, dropped into the chamber and smoothed and formed will raise the floor. Allowed to dry for a day this makes a surface that is usually harder than a well formed cake.
Here's an article about Pipe Mud that may be of interest.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
I have a question. How in the world does a pipe get THAT CAKED UP? I mean it happens slowly sooner or later and old timer has to realize...."Hrm i cant get baccy in this tiny little whole!" lol ive seen tons of these and have always wondered was it neglect that gets them to that point or am I missing something lol.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
For sure bogie.

Maybe there was a mindset that allowed for a build up such as that as being a goal or an accomplishment to be valued.

If that were the case then the fellow that had this pipe was darn sure accomplished!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
That is an amazing transformation. It is also a text book illustration for "don't let the cake build up too much" :) It makes you wonder how the previous user ever managed to fill that pipe up! They must have done to carry on building up the cake to that degree. Looks like it was well worth the effort.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Thanks all, it does look pretty good at that!
Raised the chamber floor with pipe mud a couple days ago and smoked the thing for the first time this morning.

Grand.
The chamber is easily twice the size of what I normally use so I actually smoked a 1/2 bowl (-;

Draw is open and easy, at 70g it hangs perfectly. No need to clench really, just let it hang.
I had initially thought to clean it up and sell it but after smoking it I think I'll be keeping this one around for awhile! Some more time spent on waxing the briar and fine tuning the polish on the silver-work is in order.
mlc_oomPaul.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.