PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

A bit over a year ago now, I began smoking a pipe after cleaning up my father’s old pipe collection. Since then, I have bought a couple of estate pipes including, as of a week ago, a Dr. Grabow Westbrook. I have smoked the Grabow twice now and wanted to give some of my reflections on the experience.

What’s clear from the start is that this pipe is designed as a tool not as a collectors' item. It was meant to be smoked often and on the go. It’s not a huge bowl which meant that people could take it with them, smoke a smallish bowl, clean it, break it down, and put it in their pocket.

The Grabow I had got from an eBay seller had been thoroughly cleaned and all of the cake removed (though a bit ghosted with some aromatic). Lately, I’ve been smoking GL Pease's Fillmore in an attempt to learn to appreciate Virginia Perique blends after starting with mostly English mixtures. I had smoked the Fillmore in a number of my father’s pipes but had not yet tried it in the Grabow.

Smoking it in the Grabow was an interesting experience. The delicate flavors that I was starting to tease out in some of the other, more seasoned pipes just didn’t appear. And surprisingly, I was OK with that. As I smoked this pipe, I let go of trying to taste everything and instead, just focused on the smoking process itself. In a way, that freed me up to have a very enjoyable smoke even if the flavors themselves were more muted. I noticed some of the ghosted flavors from prior owners, but it didn't bother me too much.

I came away from the experience thinking that smoking pipes such as a Dr. Grabow can be liberating in the sense that it allowed me to just consider that pipe as a tool for enjoyment rather than a precious object that needs to be babied at all times.

There are or is nothing wrong at all with pipes as beautiful collectors items. I own one or two that I just marvel at. But this experience has taught me that there is something to be gained by looking at a pipe from a different vantage point. And that there is real satisfaction in improving the ability to slow one's cadence and "listen to" how the tobacco wants to be smoked, if that makes sense.

Those are my two cents on the experience. I am curious about what other people have to say about smoking pipes such as these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I came away from the experience thinking that smoking pipes such as a Dr. Grabow can be liberating in the sense that it allowed me to just consider that pipe as a tool for enjoyment rather than a precious object that needs to be babied at all times.
That's how I feel about all of my pipes from cobs all the way to my artisan pieces. That being said, here's an 89 year old patent era Linkman's Dr Grabow.

20180624_054704-2.jpg

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
The newest briar in my regular rotation can’t be less than ~50 years old—that’s when the manufacturer went belly up. None are considered collectors items, but all are good smokers. I have a couple artisan pipes, but they don‘t get smoked—not because I’m trying to keep them pristine, but because the old, cheap pipes just work so well.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have several Grabow's and love them all. You are correct, they are 'working man' pipes so to speak, but they wouldn't be as well known as they are if they didn't have the production process down with producing a nice smoking pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good post, sounds like you are enjoying the pipes. I'm not sure why you'd break down the pipe to put it in your pocket, but maybe you are protecting the stem. For toting a pipe, I like shorter pipes with thick shanks and stems. Also, I keep them in my upper inside pockets, never the pants pockets, and heaven forbid not the back pants pockets.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My highest accolade and recommendation goes to the Dr. Grabow Royalton series with acrylic stems. It is an upgrade that doesn't cost any more than some other Grabows. The Royalton bulldog must be done by the old hand carvers that do a lovely shaping with full bulldog glory despite no bead lines at all. It lets me know in an entirely non-verbal way how much the crafts people at Sparta, N.C., respect and love their work.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
The Royalton bulldog must be done by the old hand carvers that do a lovely shaping with full bulldog glory despite no bead lines at all. It lets me know in an entirely non-verbal way how much the crafts people at Sparta, N.C., respect and love their work.
+1 Love my Royalton dog. Very well shaped and drilled, and worth more than it cost me.