Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I inherited a pipe rack from my father that belonged to my grandpa Mac. The pipe rack was made by my father in wood shop back in high school. For many years it has been stored safely in a box in the garage. It had seen many years of use and was in need of some repair. The joints holding the top of the pipe rack were loose and the finish was worn.
With the garden all cleaned up and put to bed for the winter and the leaves raked, I have more time to work on projects and tinker a bit in the garage.
I recently picked up a few great estate pipes and of course need some place to store them since my other pipe rack is full?.
I decided that I would carefully take the pipe rack apart and completely refinish it and restore it to a beautiful, functional pipe rack. It’s not fancy. I’m excited to put it back into use and of course transfer some of grandpa‘s pipes that I have to this pipe rack!
It appears to have been made with all handtools.
Here’s a picture of the pipe rack. 688BD4AD-EA1B-4B5A-A921-0682D13734D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B604634-52EE-40D0-B287-943EA675A6A6.jpeg
    9B604634-52EE-40D0-B287-943EA675A6A6.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 24

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think that’s made of pine, or some other hardwood.

I’ve restored a lot of pipe racks, by first using a chemical stripper (the more skulls and crossbones on the can, the better it works) then sanding them, regluing any loose joints with Elmer’s Wood Glue, and for hardwoods I stain them with Dark Brown Fiebings Leather Dye.

On hardwood, I like Danish Oil as a final finish. There’s others perhaps as good.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
If it was me, I'd reglue the joints, and keep it just like that. How grandpa made it.
I agree. It has a lovely patina and is in its original state. It will look nice refinished but looks beautiful now. I have a bookcase that my dad made when he was in high school. He is now 92. Bookcase will remain, like both him and me, with the wrinkles and scars earned over lots of decades. Just a respectful suggestion.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I think that’s made of pine, or some other hardwood.

I’ve restored a lot of pipe racks, by first using a chemical stripper (the more skulls and crossbones on the can, the better it works) then sanding them, regluing any loose joints with Elmer’s Wood Glue, and for hardwoods I stain them with Dark Brown Fiebings Leather Dye.

On hardwood, I like Danish Oil as a final finish. There’s others perhaps as good.

THANKS! I appreciate the insights. ??

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I agree. It has a lovely patina and is in its original state. It will look nice refinished but looks beautiful now. I have a bookcase that my dad made when he was in high school. He is now 92. Bookcase will remain, like both him and me, with the wrinkles and scars earned over lots of decades. Just a respectful suggestion.
I fully agree. I did consider leaving the wonderful character untouched. The issue is the vertical supports are really loose and the screws won’t stay tight anymore. I really want to use the rack again. So, my assessment is that it needs to be repaired to prevent it being broken. The repair will require a new finish.
I plan on leaving it to one of my sons along with some Pipes.

Bowlsmoker67

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2021
Montgomery County Ny
I inherited a pipe rack from my father that belonged to my grandpa Mac. The pipe rack was made by my father in wood shop back in high school. For many years it has been stored safely in a box in the garage. It had seen many years of use and was in need of some repair. The joints holding the top of the pipe rack were loose and the finish was worn.
With the garden all cleaned up and put to bed for the winter and the leaves raked, I have more time to work on projects and tinker a bit in the garage.
I recently picked up a few great estate pipes and of course need some place to store them since my other pipe rack is full?.
I decided that I would carefully take the pipe rack apart and completely refinish it and restore it to a beautiful, functional pipe rack. It’s not fancy. I’m excited to put it back into use and of course transfer some of grandpa‘s pipes that I have to this pipe rack!
It appears to have been made with all handtools.
Here’s a picture of the pipe rack. View attachment 113257
Very nice. I like the years of patina that it has

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was surprised, thinking this was a factory made rack your grandfather had. Something that he made himself? That's very special.

If the marks and everything were from being stored, I wouldn't feel too bad about refinishing it. The wear and tear adds a certain charm though as well.

Whatever you choose to do with it, good on you for taking care of it, and good on your dad for not throwing it out!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I know it’s been a while since I commented on this post. I finally got around to finishing the pipe rack. I decided the advice on leaving as much patina as possible was the way to go. I lightly sanded it and used some cabinet scrapers to get some old glue off and prepare it for a coat of ebony-brown “Restore a Finish“ I had on hand.
When I took it apart, it was clear that all of the joints were cut with a back saw and cleared with a chisel. This pipe rack was made by my dad for my grandpa Mac back in the mid 50s.
I am very excited to have it back to together in functional condition with most of its original ”worn character” it earned over the years!
A06E6872-532E-4A34-818A-3F9BC43ADC4B.jpeg2C9929FD-5D67-4F32-8474-E2ED1D81491A.jpeg1141B63C-7D0A-411F-A3AA-29CB96CDDF02.jpeg

Now I need to pick out some pipes to put on it!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
That turned out really nice. How wonderful that you will have that and the memory that comes with it to look at each and every day now. Life is good.
Thanks!
I have lots of great memories sitting with my grandfather near this pipe rack as he told me wonderful stories of his time in the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Army Air Corps and then, after the separation from the Army, the Air Force.
Life is good!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Well, I decided to move the 4 KW pipes from Grandpa Mac and a couple of MM cobs.
Of course, this caused me to have to try and figure out how to rearrange the pipes on my large pipe rack. Not sure they’re all where I want them yet, but I’ll figure it out.
A nice problem to have. ;)
I've spent many happy hours figuring where to and how to store my pipes. And rearranging them. ?
Gives me a chance to reacquaint myself with the few I'd "forgotten I had" ?
Great job with the restoration.
May it serve you well, and continue to give you many happy memories of your Grandpa..