PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Does anyone make their own corn cob pipes? I am eliminating some Arundo Donax (giant reed) from my yard finding it to make great reed stems. I personally am using it to make my cobs into churchwardens. I could send a few out if anyone wants any.
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/davidketterer/media/IMG_15011_zpsb49b4t2u.jpg.html
PS: How do I make this picture show up directly in the post?

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Your pic didn't work. But to answer your question, no I have never tried to make my own. Old Dominion and Missouri Meerschaum make some pretty good cobs from about 5.00 to 15.00. The Old D cobs have a reed (bamboo cane) stem. They smoke remarkably well. Hopefully someone can fix your picture. I'd like to see your churchwarden cobs.
Your link works. Close enough.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I use the IMG button and paste the address in.
IMG_15011_zpsb49b4t2u.jpg

That stem looks pretty cool!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a footnote, I'm pretty sure Missouri Meerschaum used to have reed stems on their cob pipes, though I'm not sure if they were bamboo or what. My dad was a chain smoker of pipes (always Granger) and I remember his reed stem pipes, and I'm pretty sure they were MM's. He smoked only one pipe at a time, no rotation, and would smoke them until they burnt out, usually briar, with the occasional cob.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
These work out for me since I try not to clench. I don't remove the shank altogether because I want as much length as possible. Also, you can trade the original stem back in for a more socially acceptable pipe when out and about.
Anyone ever made a cob from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.