PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I was mildly active on this forum a several years ago (and for a short time). I threw myself into the hobby after an uncle bequeathed his pipes to me. I ventured down the usual path of an enthusiastic new pipe smokers--buying and smoking *lots* of tobacco. Too much, in fact! I stopped smoking altogether after a brief illness.
I recently came across all my tobaccos--almost by accident. It's like I found a stash of hidden Christmas presents: Marlin Flake, 5100, FVF, 1Q, Storm Front, Escudo, Frog Morton, Irish Flake, Anniversary Cake, Blackwoods, and others. All stored well. So I'm back to the pipe, although I'm smoking at a more moderate rate and steering clear of red virginias (too bitey).
Have you ever come across previously stored tobacco you forgot or didn't know you had? What was it? Had the aging improved it?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm glad to read that you're back into the pastime, and posting again! :clap:

(I'm forever discovering untried blends at the bottoms of my storage boxes. Rummaging thru my cellar makes me feel like a kid in a candy shop.) :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I quit pipe smoking for some years in solidarity with my late wife who quit a three pack a day cigarette habit. She tried to quit several times and finally did with the help of a Lung Association support group. She died in her early fifties, as far as I know from medical knowledge, not from smoking cigarettes. She was an amazing and wonderful person, as is the woman who is now my wife. When I was a widower, I came across my go-to pipe carver at the state fair and bought a Mountain Laurel straight poker and packed it with an ancient baggie of North Sea from Tinderbox, or some similar aromatic. With the flavorings faded, the tobacco was notably better. So, yes, coming back to a good pipe is a homecoming of sorts. Since my wife has had some medical challenges, I tease her by saying she drove me to Cavendish. Not that Cavendish is a special thing with me, but it sounds funny.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It's one of the best feelings in the world. I've come across a few 8oz tins of stuff I bought in 2009 that I had completely forgotten about (including a bag of Stonehaven). I have a feeling that will happen a bunch more in the future as I've been a bit crazy in the past with my TAD. I'm slowing down now and only buying my favorites but it will be fun to have all kinds of different aged tobaccos to open in the future... that or consign them to Pipe Stud's shop for some huge returns. lol
Welcome back, man!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Have you ever come across previously stored tobacco you forgot or didn't know you had?"
No but I have a few blends that I have mislaid so I suppose I will have a pleasant surprise waiting for me somewhere down the line when I do finally locate them.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many feel that some aging on many tobaccos is a plus.
Try this: get a tin of whichever tobacco you like the most and then compare the new tin with the "cellared" tin.
Glad you are back!]

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm anxious to re-try Anniversary Kake, which I believe contains red Virginia. It used to bite a wee bit. Blackwoods more so. Perhaps some aging took the edge off?

Maybe, maybe not. I've had some aged tobacco bite me where their fresh counterpart did not. Aging tobacco is a gamble, ya never really know what you are going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.