PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
How would y'all describe the latakia content in Red Raparee? I don't really enjoy a lot of latakia anymore, but I really like County Squire Bag End. The way the Virginia and Orientals take the lead and the latakia is way in the background just lending a nice compliment of smoke and earth. From reading the blend description Red Raparee seems like it would be in the same vein.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
My palate is not as refined as many here on these forums who are able to more eloquently describe the interplay of all the flavors they experience in their tobaccos, so I will just say that I find the Latakia (while definitely present) to be more of a supporting player than a lead component in this blend. Red Rapparee is one of my favorite blends and definitely worth a try.

Reactions: solideogloria86

Grazer

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
I cannot compare it to County Squire Bag End, as that is a blend I’ve yet to try, but I do find Red Rapparee quite enjoyable and would agree that it’s not Latakia forward.

Reactions: solideogloria86

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Yeah I wasn’t a fan because it’s not at all what I was expecting.

I opened one tin a few years back and probably still have a few others.

It’s not bad, but it was too mellow for me.

Not one I would buy again, but then again, I like Latakia blends to make the neighbors think there is a tire fire somewhere.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Interesting thread anyone know how Red Raparee and Black Mallory compare head to head?

Im wondering which one to try next…

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Interesting thread anyone know how Red Raparee and Black Mallory compare head to head?

Im wondering which one to try next…
Black Mallory has the same basic ingredients as Red Rapparee (Black Cavendish, Latakia, Orientals, Virginia) but in different proportions. I taste more Latakia in Black Mallory, and it is definitely a fuller/richer smoke than Red Rapparee. I like Red Rapparee as a "lively" afternoon smoke year round, or as an evening smoke in hotter weather. I like Black Mallory primarily as a relaxing evening smoke year round, but especially as the weather gets a little cooler. Both these two blends are in my "short list" of favorites and are mainstays in my smoking rotation.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Black Mallory has the same basic ingredients as Red Rapparee (Black Cavendish, Latakia, Orientals, Virginia) but in different proportions. I taste more Latakia in Black Mallory, and it is definitely a fuller/richer smoke than Red Rapparee. I like Red Rapparee as a "lively" afternoon smoke year round, or as an evening smoke in hotter weather. I like Black Mallory primarily as a relaxing evening smoke year round, but especially as the weather gets a little cooler. Both these two blends are in my "short list" of favorites and are mainstays in my smoking rotation.
Thanks I’ve seen these called Scottish blends , still trying to figure out what that means noting that they have Cavendish but then also noting that C&Ds bayou night is considered a Scottish I’m left bewildered as usual 🤣🤣🤣

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I know what you mean about the various opinions on what constitutes a "Scottish" blend. I'm not familiar with C&D's Bayou Night, but there are certainly other blends out there (most notable to me being Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture) which don't fit the more commonly held definition of what is "Scottish". At the risk of taking this thread completely off-topic (not my intent), here are two competing definitions of "Scottish" that I've come across in my past dive into this question:

1) Always contain a Cavendish (unflavored black cavendish), Latakia, and Virginia but little to no Orientals

2) English blends that contain enough Cavendish to qualify as a light aromatic (essentially aromatic English mixtures). Like English blends, use predominantly Virginia base, but significantly less Latakia and potentially no Oriental; may contain a greater proportion of Cavendish or may be slightly aromatic; given association with Scotland may often be flavored with whisky

Whatever definition anyone wants to use, I personally would definitely consider both Red Rapparee and Black Mallory as true Scottish blends... :)

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Again a quick side note not to go completely off topic but Bayou Night has , Virginia, Burley , Perique, Latakia, and Orientals , hence total confusion 🤣🤣🤣

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Again a quick side note not to go completely off topic but Bayou Night has , Virginia, Burley , Perique, Latakia, and Orientals , hence total confusion 🤣🤣🤣
I just looked Bayou Night up on TobaccoReviews.com and they have it listed there as an "American" Blend (Scottish-inspired?). A classic Scottish blend wouldn't have any Perique. But it looks like it could be tasty!

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I just looked Bayou Night up on TobaccoReviews.com and they have it listed there as an "American" Blend (Scottish-inspired?). A classic Scottish blend wouldn't have any Perique. But it looks like it could be tasty!
Oh it’s very good must get the American cause the burley but anyways I’ve digressed watching too much 😂😂😂

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I didn’t buy Red Rapparee recently because Latakia (I was looking for and found it in Black Mallory”) was missing in the tin description. Just red Virginias and Orientals were mentioned despite almost every other description mentioning a portion of Latakia. Mmh…

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I didn’t buy Red Rapparee recently because Latakia (I was looking for and found it in Black Mallory”) was missing in the tin description. Just red Virginias and Orientals were mentioned despite almost every other description mentioning a portion of Latakia. Mmh…
There is definitely Latakia in Red Rapparee. Here is the printed description on the side of the 100g tin I'm holding in my hand right now as I type this: "Red Rapparee is a classical blend of Latakia, differently cut Virginia tobaccos, dark Cavendish and a distinctive proportion of Oriental." On the bottom of the tin, the following nearly identical description (with addition of word 'spicy' before Latakia) is also written: "A classical blend of spicy Latakia, differently cut Virginia tobaccos, dark Cavendish and a distinctive proportion of Oriental."

Reactions: UB 40