PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Another post by a spammer got me to thinking about my ashtrays and pipe rests. Thought I would share.

the First picture is an old broken current to pressure transducer that came from my work.

xducer-150x112.jpg

The second is when the cover is removed it becomes a huge ashtray... I have smaller ones also, but it's a nice way to recycle old parts.
xducer1-150x112.jpg

the last one is an old FLOW transmitter that I use as a pipe rest at my desk.
flow-150x112.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Very creative lucky! If I'm not sitting on my front porch where I have an old pipe ashtray with a built in pipe holder, I'm usually just using anything I can find to safely set a pipe on, or to dump the ashes. But those are very different looking items you're using as an ashtray or pipe rest. Cool! :clap:

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I use Altoids tins to carry several bowls of tobacco for the work day. I also use the small tins to hold a couple boxes of matches.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My ash try is some kind of a rectangular condiment dish with high sides in a bright red glaze I bought at Walmart. It fits

tightly at the edge of a bookshelf, holds a a lot of ash, and keeps it out of sight. It takes up far less space than an ashtray

designed for the purpose. I love the old lab or shop parts repurposed as ash trays. Perfect, and distinctive too. My

receptacle for spent matches is a blue glaze Japanese style tea cup, just the right size for both small and large wooden

matches. For some tobaccos I use baskets as receptacles for tins and small jars, and a few baggies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Good thread Lucky ... I've always been a repurposer!
Here's a loose tea infuser cup converted to "Flake Station". The flakes go into the top for drying and the smaller pieces that are good for kindling fall into the bottom.
teacup-554x600.jpg

teacup2-440x600.jpg

An antique brass candy dish that is scalloped and perfect for pipes and cigars:
trypis2-600x376.jpg

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
That is a sweet setup CobGuy. I like the candy dish. Tobacco is candy too!

Jan 8, 2013
Hey this is pretty cool thread. I have a three headed dragon incense burner that I use as a pipe rest. As you can see the pipe fits nice and comfy between the wings :)

CAM00124.jpg
[/url][/img]

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
And it looks like the dragon is puffing away... that is a nice setup Anthony

Quick before @hunter makes a punny...

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Cool stuff :) I work in that industry, that's the reason for the geeky question, lol.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@ lucky695.

Huh, your work sounds like my work!

I work on pressure transducers and flow meters a lot. As a matter of fact, I was just replacing a couple of flow meters, and their I/O cards last night.

Though I must say, we don't have any exactly like the ones you have pictured.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Those are OLD..OLD parts. The best the 60's had to offer.
I work in Nuclear Power used to work in the Instrumentation and Controls department before going to the Training world to train operators.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
That's a super good idea with those Altoids tins. I'm going to try that system. Thank you for the idea. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.