PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I came down with covid around November 11-12. I stopped smoking November 13 as I noticed my sense of taste and smell left me. I’ve physically recovered from Covid, minus my sense of taste and smell still being effected.

I tried smoking a pipe twice within the last few days But just couldn’t enjoy it since my taste is still messed up.

Has anyone else on the forum recovered from covid and how long did it take before you could enjoy your pipe again?

it’s very aggravating for me not being able to enjoy a pipe! Food still tastes so bland as well.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The smell/taste thing seems to be affecting people quite differently, as all the other symptoms do. I think I had it back in March, but don’t know, because they screwed up the test and I wasn’t going back to get re-tested. CT and X-Ray looked like it to the doctor though. My sense of taste left me for about a week, but returned to normal. About the only thing I could taste during that week was vinegar. ?
My dad currently has it, and hasn’t had any issues with smell or taste at all.
I’d venture that it will return to normal for you, but I’m not sure if anyone could tell you when. ?‍♂️ Hopefully soon.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Experiences vary is about the only constant with COVID. I was sick 4-5 days and virtually fine on day 8, back to coffee and pipes. Metallic taste for 3ish days in the middle of it. I had no lung breathing issues only fever/gastro/headache/body aches.

Very glad you're on the recovering side at this point, give it time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I came down with covid around November 11-12. I stopped smoking November 13 as I noticed my sense of taste and smell left me. I’ve physically recovered from Covid, minus my sense of taste and smell still being effected.

I tried smoking a pipe twice within the last few days But just couldn’t enjoy it since my taste is still messed up.

Has anyone else on the forum recovered from covid and how long did it take before you could enjoy your pipe again?

it’s very aggravating for me not being able to enjoy a pipe! Food still tastes so bland as well.
yeah I certainly did and it took a while to get all the senses back completely. I mean after a week or two it was mostly back but not fully for closer to a month. Yeah that killing of taste sucks but it comes back and that first pipe you really taste is a special slice of heaven.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I just got over a confirmed case of COVID. Was sick for about 3 weeks and a few days. I lost my sense of taste and smell but they are back now. Everyone is different. I think losing taste for good is not common but happens.... maybe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just got over a confirmed case of COVID. Was sick for about 3 weeks and a few days. I lost my sense of taste and smell but they are back now. Everyone is different. I think losing taste for good is not common but happens.... maybe.
apperantly that loss of those two senses is the key sign you have covid and not a really bad flu. I've had flus mute my senses but never in the way covid did. It wasn't just being clogged it was like that plus an actual failure in the sense organ somehow like it's been turned off.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
With all due respect - I don't know why everyone continues to refer to it as 'covid' - the specific virus has not been isolated and YES I AGREE and do not deny that something has been going around but Covid(disease? what disease-) was a term coined by the CDC - I just say virus -regardless, the cdc WHO and Hopkins and officials have been grouping it with influenza in the numbers - If it is a coronavirus - It's a chest cold - I had something last December and I smoked thereafter - treated it like a cold. period.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any persistent illness, healing injury, or surgery, I'd stay off the pipe until healed, plus a week past that. I'm not sure I always follow this guideline, but I think it is a good one. Smoking is known to restrict the smallest blood vessels, the capillaries, and this in turn slows healing. You don't want this monster back, or even lingering. Since you aren't enjoying the smoking right now anyway, it's an easy choice not to smoke. Mostly, I wish you rapid and comfortable healing, and that you get one hundred percent soon.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I had it early November, lost all sense of smell for a week. It started coming back on day 9, and it's been improving since. Pipes are now enjoyable again, since day 14 from onset for me. It's a bizarre illness, 5 of us had it, all with different manifestations. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Reactions: dcon and DonutLuvr

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
Just thought I’d update. Almost a month after coming down with he virus and losing taste/smell, my sense of taste has returned and I’m able to taste foods and drinks almost fully again and enjoy it. My sense of smell isn’t quite up to par yet, but I have been able to smoke a few pipes and not be turned off by it. Progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.